No announcement yet.

anyone here ever dislocate a shoulder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My old karate instructor kept popping his shoulder out & eventually had to have surgery (a muscle or tendon detachment & re-attachment - "petit plat" [sorry about the spelling] - to tighten the area up a bit). I know someone else who's shoulder disclocated a lot (I dislocated it once) & it'd pop back in by itself (eventually). I've tried judo - hmm, you'll have to be careful - get in first with a sneaky headbutt or something. Good luck - hope it heals up properly & you don't get any further problems.
    Wal - Good from far, but far from good

Comment

In regards to it dislocating again I know two people that this happens to often. A cousin seems to dislocate his shoulder at least once a year playing racket ball. I have a friend that I have seen dislocate his playing flag football and coming off of a stand up jet ski. Ray's brother is a pro at snapping his back in. The cuz can do his own.

Comment

I'm basically very scared right now. I can feel my bicep, but it doesn't seem like it has all of the feeling, like it's kind of numb. It's warm, and my hand moves so I know I've got blood flow.

I'm really scared of being off of work for more than 3.5 weeks. I've only got that much paid time off. After that, I'm on my own. My work will carry my insurance for 12 weeks after my time is up, and after that, I've got to pay the full amount. I'll have no income, coming in once I'm off.

I'm scared of losing everything I worked so damn hard for. I don't mean to sound like a baby, but I've been having panic attacks, and I'm having nightmares about when I was thrown to the mat.

I'm sorry for sounding like a baby.

Comment

i hear you. after my accident, i wasn't nearly the same skiier as i was before.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

I took a pretty violent spill off a dirtbike in a moto cross race when I was about 19-20, and dislocated my left shoulder, there was a medic there who just popped it back in right away, it hurt like hell for a day or so, it went out on me several times again, usually when I was carrying something small and heavy on that shoulder. I did some weight training to build up the muscles in my upper body, and haven't had any problems with it since, (besides getting a little arthritic in the last few years) I think the key is to avoid popping it out for a few years
            I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

Well I got a good band offer right before I blew this out. Hopefully I can play guitar soon, and then I'll be able to take my mind of f of taking a break from Judo. I mean, if I ain't jamming, then I'll be wanting to go to the dojo far too son.

Comment

I suffered a 2nd degree separation in my left shoulder during a hockey game. It hurt pretty good, especially trying to get in and out of bed. Fortunately the doctor prescribed a wonderful painkiller and a sleeping pill that did a great job. My injury completely tore a tendon or ligament in my shoulder and I think it took me about 3-4 weeks before I had decent use of the shoulder again. The shoulder sling, while hardly fun, did help to allow the shoulder to heal quicker.

Good luck and godspeed on the healing, Deneb. Don't push your shoulder and realize that letting it rest is actually helping to speed up your recovery.
                Last edited by fuel0707; 04-24-2006, 07:19 AM.
                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Yeah, don't freak out man.... odds are it will be fine without surgery. Give it some time to heal. You might want to rethink the judo though. Every time you dislocate or separate your shoulder, it gets a little "looser" and another dislocation becomes more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFarmer
                    I took a pretty violent spill off a dirtbike in a moto cross race when I was about 19-20, and dislocated my left shoulder, there was a medic there who just popped it back in right away, it hurt like hell for a day or so, it went out on me several times again, usually when I was carrying something small and heavy on that shoulder. I did some weight training to build up the muscles in my upper body, and haven't had any problems with it since, (besides getting a little arthritic in the last few years) I think the key is to avoid popping it out for a few years
                    Yeah, what FF said....I did mine while playing football. Maybe I was lucky because mine popped back in almost immediately afterwards but when it happened. I knew what happened right away and then everyone was huddled around saying "oh crap, I heard a pop, are you alright?" and such. It hurt really bad for a couple of days. I gave it a couple of weeks to heal and then slowly started my normal weight excercises again. It's been about 7 years and so far, so good. I feel for you man, it hurts like a mofo. Hang in there.

Comment

I empathise with you, Deneb. I have been hospitalised twice in Japan. I have no family here. The first time, they kept me for almost 3 weeks, I scarcely spoke Japanese at that point, I had limited funds in the bank, had 3 IV's going simultaniously and had research due on another continent with no chance of contacting them.

Have a relaxing weekend and don't worry about unsubstantiated future situations. You haven't received any definite information regarding your prognosis as of yet.

Comment

Well the Dr ordered an MRI. He said that there is a possible break in the ball off the humerus. He's not sure, and he wants a better picture (the Xray shows no break).

Then he said that there is a possible chance that I tore some ligament or tendon, I can't remember.

Basically, if the bone is broke, I'm off of work for 8+ weeks. If it's broke, and I'm torn, I'll be out longer, because he wants to operate possibly.

Then if it's not broke, and just torn, then he said depending on the MRI he may want to operate.

I go for the MRI Wednesday morning, and my follow up with him is on Friday.

He said there's a possibility that my shoulder is okay to work in 4 weeks. If that's the case, I only miss 1/2 a weeks pay. I can handle that. If it's 8 weeks, I won't be doing too good.

Comment

btw I'm hoping for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Deneb
                            btw I'm hoping for the best.
                            And I am hoping for the best for you too. Sorry to hear of this. Follow the doctor's orders.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

When I did in my shoulder, nothing was briken but I had a partial tear of the ligaments and tendons in the shoulder (I did not tear the rotator cuff). I opted not to have surgery and went for physical therapy. I only missed a few days of work, but I also couldn't do much lifting for several weeks. PT took about 2 months but it felt pretty good when I was done. That was early 2002, and it still bothers me occassionally. I reaggravated it in a beach football game two months ago and I'm still having issues. The doc says its time for PT again but I'm trying to work it out on my own as I remeber all of the exercises they put me through. Make sure you rehab it well or it can become a recurring problem. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X