No announcement yet.

The stuff I build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to want to "fix" things as opposed to junking them. Saves money (sometimes), and it's fun to do. Also tends to drive the wife bonkers.

This is the story of FrankenBlower, and how it came to be.

We live on a corner, which means two sidewalks to keep clear along with the driveway & sometimes the approach (even though all 3 of our vehicles are 4WD). And, as both of us are getting up in years, we decided many years ago to find a small snowblower that either of us could use; one that wasn't too difficult to move up & down the 3 steps at the front of the deck. Picked up a small gas-powered one, and it worked fine for many years. But it tried once to gobble up a small-ish rock, and it broke the plastic shroud surrounding the impeller (single-stage blower). I fixed that, and in the process I upgraded some areas that were questionable. All good.

About 3 years ago, the machine decided to try to eat itself. The city's sidewalk isn't perfect, and when the blower hit a place that wasn't quite level (offset), the discharge chute tried to keep going forward while the impeller shroud stopped. Damage ensued.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	FB 01.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	2550831 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB 03.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2550832 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB 02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	2550833

Not to worry, off to the internet to buy the Ryobi 40-volt blower that we'd been thinking about getting. (Awesome unit, BTW)

Name:	Ryobi Blower.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2550834

But I just couldn't bear to part with the gas-powered one, since it started first pull every time I needed it. Off to the basement laboratory (inside shop) it went.

Several key pieces of "plumber's roll" (that metal strapping that has holes everywhere), along with some angle-iron bracing, plus a little creative work to the plastic shroud (fused back together with a soldering gun prior to strapping) and it's alive!!!! The birth of FrankenBlower!

Name:	FB 05.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	2550835 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB 04.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2550836 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB 06.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2550837

Of course, it needed some slight decorative upgrades (similar on the other side).

Name:	FB 09.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2550838

This is the fastener count for the re-birth.

Name:	FB 13.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	2550839

While I was at it, I made a new choke lever handle.

Name:	FB 12.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2550840

It's now a "backup" unit, in case the Ryobi should fail.

JS20s bass (black)
    JS30RR guitar (metallic blue)
    RR24 guitar (Maul Red Crackle)

......and a lot more.

Guitar amp - Crate G-60 "mini-stack" with 2 12" Celestions
    Bass amp - Ashdown Engineering "Perfect 10" mini rig

Comment

Do what you Love
      Love what you do
      And have Patience
      The Blades are interesting and the Cases are nice.

Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
        Do what you Love
        Love what you do
        And have Patience
        The Blades are interesting and the Cases are nice.

Nice work!
        Thank you very much. I sometimes take more time making the "presentation cases" than the actual contents. And doing these type of projects make for a nice break from building instruments.
        JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

I made these for an acquaintance that likes owls. Figured, why not make a set of KISS owls for this person? All by hand, but this time no presentation case. I have the beginnings of an LED-lit display in the works, but it's been sidelined for the time being.

The "basic" owl came from WalMart.

Name:	Owl.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	2550852

Over the course of several days, maybe weeks (I don't recall; I've slept since then).....This was the outcome.

Name:	KO 01.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	2550853 Click image for larger version

Name:	KO 02.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	2550854

Name:	KO 03.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	2550855 Click image for larger version

Name:	KO 04.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2550856

Name:	KO 05.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2550857 Click image for larger version

Name:	KO 06.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	2550858

Name:	KO 07.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2550859 Click image for larger version

Name:	KO 08.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	2550860

I incorporated the colors associated with each persona, which are the colors of the "aura" around each member's image on their respective solo album cover, along with the traditional black & silver scheme.

The RR24 case is coming along nicely. The tolex arrived a couple of days ago, and I already had some red fleece for the interior. Yesterday, all the hardware was pre-installed to make sure everything operates properly. I need to "blacken" the handle parts that attach to the case, to eliminate the chrome finish. There are 3 other guitars in my collection with the RR shape that will get very similar cases; a Jackson JS30RR, a Washburn RR40, and an Epiphone E-series Demon.

I need a bigger space.
          JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

This is another miniature guitar & case. I reproduced the Gibson Sam Ash SG for an acquaintance who also has one, along with a mini Coffin Case. It's even got a real leather strap. I thought I had more photos of it, but for now I can only find the one. It's one of those Axe Heaven replicas, just repainted, etc.

Name:	MiniSG.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2550869
            JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

I had to go prowl through another forum that I used to post on to find these photos (tried to go to PhotoBucket but it was a pain). One of the guys I used to work with (USPS job) gave me the guitar, saying something about it was his first, etc. He had put some thin pinstripe tape on it, trying to emulate the Japanese "Rising Sun" flag. I got the idea one day to re-work it into a proper Rising Sun guitar by painting it white and using a vinyl decal for the Rising Sun graphic. I also polished up the chrome parts & added red control knobs, along with the Rising Sun graphic on the truss rod cover & red tuning post ferrules. Not sure what he did with it. Haven't heard anything from any of the people I used to work with & around for 25 years, either. Oh. Well.

Name:	Rising Sun 01.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2550879 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rising Sun 02.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	2550880

Name:	Rising Sun 03.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	2550881

I might recreate the design on something one of these days, but it will stay in my collection.
              JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Just a little something I made for my daughter. I saw one similar at a local "indoor flea market", and took a photo of it. Just a trinket / jewelry box, in circular form. Oak drawer fronts, with a mix of oak and other woods on the front face. Cushioning inside the drawers.

Name:	TBox 01.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2550893 Click image for larger version

Name:	TBox 02.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2550894

Name:	TBox 03.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2550895 Click image for larger version

Name:	TBox 04.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2550896

The RR24 case is coming along nicely. 99% of the tolex work is done, and the major parts that surround the guitar body are done. It should be complete within a week, unless health issues arise (or the Boss decides I need to do something else).

JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

A couple more things for the daughter. She went to a ComiCon a few years ago, and got to meet a couple of celebrities. Had the photos taken, and asked me to make a frame for each of them. Her idea of a picture frame & my own idea...well, let's just say I went a bit beyond the usual.

She got to meet Elijah Wood, who portrayed Frodo Baggins in the "Lord of the Rings" movies. So naturally, I had to create a fitting "frame" for the photo. I found a photo of a Hobbit dwelling, and went from there. The texture on the piece is drywall compound; the windows are 1/16th Lexan; the door has magnets that keep it closed. The "porch light" is a dollhouse accessory.

Name:	HH 01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2550899 Click image for larger version

Name:	HH 02a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2550900

The other celeb she met was David Tennant, who portrayed the 10th Doctor on the "Doctor Who" BBC series. Another "frame" that is tied to the series; this is a Tardis (something about a phone booth that is used to travel time in). The doors both have magnetic catches, and there's a microswitch that turns on a blue LED light on the top of the frame when the doors are open.

Name:	Tardis 01.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	2550901 Click image for larger version

Name:	Tardis 02a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2550902

JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Comment

Thank you very much. If that's sweet tea we're sharing, make mine a double!
                      JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

While I didn't build it from scratch, I "built" it into the vehicle it is today. A 1978 Jeep CJ-7, with a 258 inline 6-cylinder engine (4.2L for you metric types), a T-18a "granny" 4-speed transmission, 4" suspension lift, 35" mudders on 11x15 aluminum slot wheels. Custom bumpers front & rear, and a swing-out spare tire rack (all built by me). The engine was rebuilt in 2014; and I upgraded to LED lights in 2019.

It began its life with me like this

Name:	CJ 01.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2550967 Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ 02.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2550968

This is what it became

Name:	CJ 17.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2550969 Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ 22.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2550970

The bumpers & tire rack

Name:	CJ 35.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2550971 Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ 37.JPG
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2550972

Name:	CJ 38.JPG
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2550973 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rack.JPG
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	2550974

LED lights

Name:	LEDs 01.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2550975 Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDs 02.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	2550976

I'm going to try my best to build a set of "rub rails" (what I call running boards) for it, in hopes that I will be able to drive it again. Ongoing medical issues (limited mobility, mainly) make it difficult to get in. Out's easy....gravity is my friend. But I keep it running well, because my son wants it when I'm gone.
                        JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Swee!!

A REAL Jeep that can go off road!!

Comment

Swee!!

A REAL Jeep that can go off road!!
                            I had planned to put locking diffs both front & rear, and it may yet happen. It had manual brakes when stock, but it's got a power brake conversion on it now. Needs a bit of tweaking to get the "feel" of the brakes just right (for me).

Update on the RR24 case - it's done. Should be posting pics of it tomorrow.
                            JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

I'd like to see that!

Comment

Well, yesterday (the intended day of posting photos) turned out to be one of those days where I was sick pretty much all day, and those days are spent sleeping. If anyone's ever told you out there that getting old is "fun".....they lied. But, today is a better-ish day.

The case. Covered in "Garnet Red/Black Bronco" from Antique Electronic Supply; one of the two places I get tolex from. Decent prices, decent selection. Black hardware (latches, hinges, handle & corners). Interior of red fleece. I decided to not put lids on the swag boxes, because they seal snug against the case lid when it's closed, and the only items that will be in them are the trem bar and a strap. As with all the cases I build, it's custom-fit for the guitar body.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 01.JPG Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	2551003 Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 02.JPG Views:	0 Size:	60.8 KB ID:	2551004
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 03.JPG Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	2551005 Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 04.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	2551006
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 05.JPG Views:	0 Size:	77.0 KB ID:	2551007 Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 08.JPG Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	2551008
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 09.JPG Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	2551009 Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	2551010
                                Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Case 10.JPG Views:	0 Size:	86.6 KB ID:	2551011 Click image for larger version  Name:	RR24 Strap.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	2551012

One down, several more to go.....
                                JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                                X