China stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China stuff

So, I'm looking for pickups on fleabay and there are so many seymour duncans for sell out of china. I know they're fake and probably suck, but here's the deal! How do you know if you buy a used pickup for 75. bucks if it's not someone who bought one from China. I always get the best deal I can and that usually means buying used in good shape stuff.
    I have pickups out the ass but they're j90's and shit (I don't care for them sorry I know some love them) So, I even think the xl500 that sweetwater sold me is a China pickup because it's not as good as a bill&becky WTF
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

I can tell that I'm not buying a fake. There's ways to know. That being said, it magnets and wire, so I completely believe that some of the chinese clones might sound fine. The problem is that they might be inconsistent and I want to know what I'm buying.

Yes that Bill Lawrence USA (if that's what you meant) is a fake of the BIll and Becky version.
    Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
    My collection also there!

Comment

the BLUSA vs. B&B is a whole can of worms. calling either fake is probably a misrepresentation. there's plenty of discussion on the internets about it. fwiw dimebag used the BLUSA versions which are sold by stewmac. at least, that's what he used at the time. I can't comment on whether the BLUSA models have stayed consistent since the '90s, nor can I comment on the quality or tone of either.

re: fake pickups, there's a number of threads on the duncan forum about identifying fake pickups. it's usually pretty easy and obvious for bad copies (they look cheap) but I guess good copies can be harder. that's a problem for all types of used gear.
      Last edited by metalhobo; 09-14-2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by metalhobo View Post
        the BLUSA vs. B&B is a whole can of worms. calling either fake is probably a misrepresentation. there's plenty of discussion on the internets about it. fwiw dimebag used the BLUSA versions which are sold by stewmac. at least, that's what he used at the time. I can't comment on whether the BLUSA models have stayed consistent since the '90s, nor can I comment on the quality or tone of either.

re: fake pickups, there's a number of threads on the duncan forum about identifying fake pickups. it's usually pretty easy and obvious for bad copies (they look cheap) but I guess good copies can be harder. that's a problem for all types of used gear.
        I've come to realize that I'm just gonna have to buy a Duncan from Duncan. The BLUSA from sweetwater was not pricey and the lead out is also on the wrong side????
        Maybe it's not fake and just has a tone that doesn't match what I was thinking from older bladed humbuckers pickups. I will need to read up on those threads though. Thanks MH
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
          I have pickups out the ass but they're j90's and shit (I don't care for them sorry I know some love them) So, I even think the xl500 that sweetwater sold me is a China pickup because it's not as good as a bill&becky WTF
          If you decide you want to move some J90 and J80c's down the road just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

If you decide you want to move some J90 and J80c's down the road just let me know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	https___hosting.photobucket.com_albums_pp188_JWL7_.highres_SANY1347 (1).jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2549771

Comment

Working...
            X