It's been an interesting past six months - opened my own business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been an interesting past six months - opened my own business

I've been lying low for a bit. The past six months have been interesting for me to say the least. I left a job I helped build from the ground up after 5 years. There were things going on I didn't care for and it was just time to move on. When I gave my notice I'd been interviewed two or three times and offered and accepted a position at another shop so convinced I had a job lined up I gave my notice. The new shop didn't need me until the first of February so I worked three weeks of a two weeks notice. Once my notice was worked out I called the new shop and informed them I was ready to come to work only to find out they craw fished on me and decided to go a different direction without the courtesy of letting me know.

My grandmother passed away in 2017, and I had inherited a little bit of money in 2018. Being scared shit less of the stock market I stuck the money in the bank.

So I'm sitting in the house at the end of January trying to decide what direction to take and my wife tells me it's time to open up my own shop. My back ground is 25 years in automotive and power sports parts and service so I have the experience in all facets of running a parts and service department even down to setting up wholesale accounts.

Long story short is I've jumped into the deep end of the pool. I found and bought myself a garage, and have opened up my own power sports parts, service and accessories shop. It's weird as hell as I still go to work and do what I've done the past 25 years so 95% of the time it's SSDD. The only difference now is I write payroll and pay the bills. I'm fortunate that the technician I've worked with the past 13 years with came with me so it's been smooth so far.

I've very much enjoyed setting up my shop and we've been fortunate to be as busy as we have been considering I kept it a secret until I closed on the garage 6 weeks ago. We're in week 5 of being open and I'm so glad my wife convinced me to bite the bullet.

Here are a few pictures of my shop. If you're ever in Southern West Virginia stop in and say "HEY"!

Originally posted by Razor View Post
    I've been lying low for a bit. The past six months have been interesting for me to say the least. I left a job I helped build from the ground up after 5 years. There were things going on I didn't care for and it was just time to move on. When I gave my notice I'd been interviewed two or three times and offered and accepted a position at another shop so convinced I had a job lined up I gave my notice. The new shop didn't need me until the first of February so I worked three weeks of a two weeks notice. Once my notice was worked out I called the new shop and informed them I was ready to come to work only to find out they craw fished on me and decided to go a different direction without the courtesy of letting me know.

My grandmother passed away in 2017, and I had inherited a little bit of money in 2018. Being scared shit less of the stock market I stuck the money in the bank.

So I'm sitting in the house at the end of January trying to decide what direction to take and my wife tells me it's time to open up my own shop. My back ground is 25 years in automotive and power sports parts and service so I have the experience in all facets of running a parts and service department even down to setting up wholesale accounts.

Long story short is I've jumped into the deep end of the pool. I found and bought myself a garage, and have opened up my own power sports parts, service and accessories shop. It's weird as hell as I still go to work and do what I've done the past 25 years so 95% of the time it's SSDD. The only difference now is I write payroll and pay the bills. I'm fortunate that the technician I've worked with the past 13 years with came with me so it's been smooth so far.

I've very much enjoyed setting up my shop and we've been fortunate to be as busy as we have been considering I kept it a secret until I closed on the garage 6 weeks ago. We're in week 5 of being open and I'm so glad my wife convinced me to bite the bullet.

Here are a few pictures of my shop. If you're ever in Southern West Virginia stop in and say "HEY"!

That's so cool bro
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

That's so cool bro
      Thanks dude! I appreciate it!!!

Comment

Congratulations and Best Of Luck!!

Around here, Quads & Dirt bikes have become very popular over the last few years.
        No doubt eventually they will be needing some type of work done from tires to hi - performance upgrades.

Comment

Working...
        X