Dumbest Guitar Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbest Guitar Mods

So I was thinking about some of the things i did in butchering my Charvel Model 1 back in the day. You know, putting in a kill switch, and another switch to make the pickup sound like a single coil (Which never worked, btw) and other stuff, It became my experimental guitar.

I was curious as to what kinds of dumb mods you've ever done to a guitar or seen in person of a real guitar - and I don't mean changing out a pickup, I mean something that caused a physical alteration to the guitar.

Although I never owned the guitar, there was an Anderson's Music in Livermore and they have this les paul custom that had been cut down to a tear drop shape and repainted. Regardless of ones feelings towards Gibson or even just the les paul, that just looked like shit. supposedly it sounded good according to Danny, but i wouldn't touch the thing to find out. It looked cursed.

In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

sad I don't have any pics of the gore, but I did some modding on my usa so-cal. basically I didn't like the bridge pickup position because 1. it was slightly too far from the bridge and 2. it is oriented flush the body when I really wanted it flush to the strings, since those guitars have a neck angle. I figured out that if I install a slanted pickup ring in the current position, the pickup will just bump into the body since the route isn't wide enough. so I decided to bust out the router and enlarge the cavity. not a "dumb" mod per se since I got exactly what I wanted and it looks perfect with the pickguard and ring installed, but it's definitely not a mod I would perform unless I was sure I would keep and play that guitar for the rest of my life.

Comment

I scalloped the entire fretboard of one of my guitars, with full refinish, refret, etc, only to find out I hate how it feels, haha. I did a decent job, tho, and it was a cheap guitar.
      But as a guitar tech, I've seen countless atrocities coming to my shop, The biggest was a 1960 les paul that was ruined (paint removed to bare wood, bridge changed, headstock reshaped...).

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonheadfr View Post
        I scalloped the entire fretboard
        only to find out I hate how it feels,
        Not to hijack a thread....
        But I think scalloped boards are an acquired taste. They aren't meant for everyone. But even for those who do like them, it is like everything on a guitar - you have to try a bunch before you find what you like. Different combinations of things.

As example, I don't like the Malmsteem signature model. But I don't like Fender to begin with. He and I have very different playing styles. If that was my only experience with a scallop, I would never go scallop again.
        But, then you look at my Jackson (a brand I do like). The scallops are "off-center", which is much better for my playing technique. And it is only the upper frets.

Am I a convert? Do I now swear by holy stainless steel of the scallop? Do I stand outside of the Red Lobster to protest the selling of my deity?
        No. But it is one of two guitars which I have had over 25 years. When I "sold everything", thinking I was retired, I kept it just in case. Sure enough, I didn't stay retired long. So, while some guitars get bought and sold faster than I can lose a groupie playing poker with Stillwater, my Frankenstein and my scallop have been with me for the long haul.

Comment

Not done by me but Neal Moser rescued this BC Rich Seagull Jr from some ridiculous butchery...

Last edited by Sanctuary; 06-09-2022, 10:13 PM.
          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

I took a Charvel Fusion to a trusted luthier to add a humbucker. He screwed on an ugly pickguard and attached the pickups to it. I was horrified. It was the last time I let him "get creative" with my guitars.

Comment

My first guitar was a Silvertone 1420 Stratotone. Hollow-body electric, wood bridge, wrapped tailpiece, etc. Typical 60's era guitar. Bought it along with a Mongomery Wards Airline amp for $35. Hold on, there's more. My second guitar was a mid-70s Gibson SG in Tobacco Sunburst; got it from a pawn shop in Austin TX for $400. I was storing it at my mom's place even though I had an apartment in Austin, and for some reason she wanted it gone. (Bear with me, it's all relevant).

So, younger fool that I was, I traded the SG for some new pickups (Bill Lawrence HBs), and some new tuners. Here comes the butchery....

I modded the Silvertone to accept the pickups, with a full-on coil-tap, split-phase wiring job on each pickup. Added the 4 little micro-switches for all that. Then, I modded the headstock to accept the new tuners. Normally, nothing bad there, except the Silvertone headstock is a 3+3, and the new tuners were 6-inline. They actually didn't look too bad, even though you could see the offset if you looked at the headstock straight on. Oh, and later, I added a tune-o-matic bridge, but kept the wrapped tailpiece. Maybe at some point I'll reveal how I refinished it.

The SG that I only gave $400 for? They go on eBay now for about $5k. (Thanks, mom..)

I still want to find another Silvertone, though. No mods. I also want to find another SG like that, but at those prices....probably not anytime soon.

I still have the Bill Lawrence HBs. They sound really cool when the right switches are thrown; going from the HB "chunk" to a surf guitar sound in just a few clicks.

JS20s bass (black)
              JS30RR guitar (metallic blue)
              RR24 guitar (Maul Red Crackle)

......and a lot more.

Guitar amp - Crate G-60 "mini-stack" with 2 12" Celestions
              Bass amp - Ashdown Engineering "Perfect 10" mini rig

Comment

Despite the Halford Warrior, there's some things I just won't do to a guitar. I've done stickers, spikes (obviously), Krylon, and routed singles to hums but haven't tried to turn an Explorer into a Star, for example.

Comment

Working...
                X