Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How has "pandemic pricing" affected your guitar/gear buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How has "pandemic pricing" affected your guitar/gear buying?

As we all know, the COVID-19 pandemic caused prices on everything to rise, including musical instruments.

Given that some guitarists are quite passionate in acquiring gear, how has the increased pricing affected your acquisition and collection hobby?

I haven't paid as much attention to retail merchandise since I still always look for used gear. During this pandemic I still managed to get used guitars at prices I would have considered to be hot deals prior to the pandemic. But I have also bought, and considered buying, used gear that creeping up to the upper end of my comfort zone for that specific piece of gear. I am afraid that if this pandemic continues, that upper limit will creep higher. It is similar to the fable of the frog in a pot of water being brought to a gradual boil. Extrapolating, who knows if it could be realistic (and acceptable) to spend $3000 to $4000 on a used USA Jackson at some point in the future.

I guess it hasn't that much, but it's been amusing to look at the rise in "value" of my klon ktr which I bought brand new for $200 something a few short years ago. reverb says the average sale price is over $800 now. and now that the original diode supply is exhausted I only see it going up even more. I've never even plugged it in as I have a klone which sits on my board. I just keep it on my bookshelf in the living room to laugh at.

Comment

Pandemic pricing - I am a seller.
      If some sucker wants to give me $1000 for a MiM Charvel, let him.

Of course, I am always buying and selling gear. But I am primarily selling.
      Although, I feel as if the "I have money to blow" era is over. I still see the high asking prices, but I don't see things actually being sold anymore.

Comment

Yeah, nothing is selling at stupid high right now, not even USA stuff. People are still listing stuff high and I watch it week after week not get a bid with really high starting price. MIM are selling around 600-700-ish if the people are allowed to bid it up.

Personally I don't need any guitars but if I can get something I haven't had on the cheap sure.
        Last edited by john.w.lawson; 10-20-2021, 11:09 AM.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I see a lot of stuff listed for insane prices that aren't moving. Sure I've paid higher prices than I did 15 or 20 years ago but we all do now. I feel in my past two year buying binge that most of the guitars I've bought have been good deals and for fair money. I overpaid for the recent 275 Deluxe but I figure it all evens out in the end. Nice thing about being older and having more discretionary money. If I want it I don't mind overpaying once in a blue moon. For the most part I sit back and wait for a good solid deal to show up and then go for it.

I always have and still buy with "can I sell it for more than I paid for it" in the back of my mind. I'm cool with breaking even but what I really want to do is make a little money if the chips are down.

Comment

I've managed to pickup parts at decent prices, but the only guitar I've purchased during this "pandemic era" is a custom Sully. It's my version of a PC1 that is now the new body shape for his 624 line.
            I still want a SoCal to hotrod out, but prices are just too stupid at the moment for a MIM built guitar.
            Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-22-2021, 04:50 PM.
            -Rick

Comment

It has made me regret not making a move on things that were ‘reasonable’ prices a few years ago, but now would be considered absolute steals. That being said I’m managed to get every instrument on my long term wish list (a Dinky Reverse in stone, a WRMG in Black Forest) even with pandemic pricing. It just takes more diligence now and being quicker on the draw when something good pops up.
              Database (WIP) https://mechas64castles.net/CharvelJackson.html
              My collection also there!

Comment

Well if we are talking what we've bought? I bought a rare USA SLS, a MIJ Charvel traditional also pretty hard to find and some fender sorta guitar all for lower than before the BS high prices.
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I've bought seven guitars this year (technically 8 but I won't see my new Sully til next year) so it hasn't slowed me down though it has caused me to put on the breaks when it comes to buying Edwards because they've sky rocketed compared to what I had been paying for them.
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Because Jacksons and BCRs are at retarded levels now, I have switched to Carvins. Even those are going up...
                    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Well, I just bought a 89 275 deluxe with a primer scream neck on it for cheap From a bro from here Don't have it yet but will post a tease here-

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	2546915

Can't sell shit, but thats okay, thats why I have so much extra stuff
                      Last edited by john.w.lawson; 10-29-2021, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
                        Well, I just bought a 89 275 deluxe with a primer scream neck on it for cheap From a bro from here Don't have it yet but will post a tease here-

Click image for larger version Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.7 KB ID:	2546915

Can't sell shit, but thats okay, thats why I have so much extra stuff
                        Very nice!

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        I've managed to pickup parts at decent prices, but the only guitar I've purchased during this "pandemic era" is a custom Sully. It's my version of a PC1 that is now the new body shape for his 624 line.
                        I still want a SoCal to hotrod out, but prices are just too stupid at the moment for a MIM built guitar.
                        I picked up a So Cal locally last October for 450 bucks with a hard case. I bought it to flip but I'll be damned if it wasn't just a great playing and feeling guitar. Had one of the best setups on it and to this day I haven't changed the strings or setup. I'm damn near paranoid to change the strings because it plays and feels absolutely perfect. There are still some good deals here and there on Facebook Marketplace but just gotta bide your time and wait them out which is kind of the same thing it's always been. Like you I do love finding those killer deals though!!!

Have you received the Sully yet? That's one damn classy axe!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post

I picked up a So Cal locally last October for 450 bucks with a hard case. I bought it to flip but I'll be damned if it wasn't just a great playing and feeling guitar. Had one of the best setups on it and to this day I haven't changed the strings or setup. I'm damn near paranoid to change the strings because it plays and feels absolutely perfect. There are still some good deals here and there on Facebook Marketplace but just gotta bide your time and wait them out which is kind of the same thing it's always been. Like you I do love finding those killer deals though!!!

Have you received the Sully yet? That's one damn classy axe!!!
                          $450 is a great price... I would have been all over that.
                          I got my Sully a few months back.
                          Had to do some tweaks to the electronics. I sent him a PC1 sustainer and schematics so it could be built correctly.
                          The original board I sent him died, so I acquired a new unit pulled from a new PC1. I swapped out the driver and traded the HS2 single for a Cruzer. Much more balanced now.

It's wired with a 5-way switch so I can use the neck pickups individually or together.

Link to the pic... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NCk...ew?usp=sharing
                          Last edited by rjohnstone; 11-01-2021, 03:30 PM.
                          -Rick

Comment

Working...
                          X