What was the first song you learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the first song you learned?

Believe it or not, for me it wasn't "Smoke on the Water", "Iron Man", or "Living After Midnight".
    I took guitar lessons at 16. I did not learn the complete structure of an entire song for months. Meanwhile, my guitar teacher taught me the recognizable riffs and hooks from songs. The parts that would build confidence and impress my friends. He played in a popular cover band and knew many current radio songs. So I learned some Cars, Beat It, Sammy Hagar but the coolest song I ever learned at guitar lessons was "Last in Line" by Dio, but that was months after I started playing.

But the first riff or part of a song I learned was a rock song called "Girls" (not Beasties) in 1983 or 84. By some early 80's guy I can't remember. Artist style was similar to Richard Marx, Nik Kershaw, or Tommy Tutone. I could probably sit down and do the little riff by memory.

What was your's?

FOUND the song! Dwight Twilly? Who?? Well, don't get too excited:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOwOhJNU4uI
    Last edited by catzodellamarina; 06-05-2021, 09:58 AM.

for me it was For whom the bell tolls. learned several Metallica songs before learning any thing more then how to tune a guitar. I think seek and destroy was next. didnt learn the lead for maybe a year and a half or so. Of coarse back then you learned to play with one hand on the record player. didnt learn about guitar mags with tab until 87' didnt have any youtube to learn from.

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid View Post
      for me it was For whom the bell tolls. learned several Metallica songs before learning any thing more then how to tune a guitar. I think seek and destroy was next. didnt learn the lead for maybe a year and a half or so. Of coarse back then you learned to play with one hand on the record player. didnt learn about guitar mags with tab until 87' didnt have any youtube to learn from.
      Damn, I'm still having trouble on the lead parts. They look easy but for 3 months I still didn't get it right. It has to be picked every note in sync, it's when the string change then hammer on there's a gap where I then lose timing. I m kinda stuck at 100bpm instead of the 117 bpm to the song.

Comment

First song for me was "Crazy Train". Took me several weeks to get it down to passable. I played it so much my wife would come in the computer room and ask me to please try to learn something new. Every now and then I'll rip into it for old times sake as it was the riff that kicked my ass when I first started.

Comment

Working...
        X