Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about the time you lost interest in guitar. Haven't played since Sep 2020.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Great to know you are still making music!

You may have decided to walk away and either not go back to it, or just on the occasional whim pick up and play a few tunes.

Thanks for staying in it.

Comment

Glad to see you've been playing again. I'm still enjoying my guitars myself and I have really enjoyed noodling and hacking around.

Comment

I never gave up music, I just went electronic as my tastes shifted, and as I didn't want to get a noise complaint in an apartment. I nearly put the '84 Rhoads up in the guitar purge to help fund new synths, but dropping it to B gave it a new place in the lineup. But my tastes are shifting back, and with the current generation of speaker simulations and load boxes, I'm back in action.

Comment

I'm with ya. I hardly ever touch my guitars anymore. Maybe once or twice a year. I did however just buy a new one. It has my interest for now.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

sometimes a break is the best thing that can happen for your playing...it frees up your mind...enjoy life, have new experiences...you'll get back to playing when it moves you...prob wouldn't sell any of your guitars though...d.m.
            http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

It was long ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....about 1979, in Texas. (Think "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams). A guy in my HS class played, I hung around and got bitten by the bug. Bought a Silvertone Stratotone & a Wards Airline amp from a neighbor's son-in-law, and every morning when I'd wake up before heading to work I'd play a little. Come home, play more. Weekends, same. Here's where the "Summer of '79" kicked in. Even at that early age (18 in the summer), I had become used to several things - food, gas money, etc. So the guitar took up not quite so much time, even though Stan & I did "try" to do the band thing. And, like in the song, I got married. He ran off to the Army.

Still kinda had the itch to play, so occasionally I would. But, with this thing called "life" continually encroaching on my free time, it got to be less and less a part of my world.

Fast-forward to the first decade of the 2000s. Living in Iowa now, "working" for the USPS. A couple of guys from work played, so sure why not? But, we didn't need 3 guitars so I switched to bass. 2 less strings to mess with, and I can keep a good steady rhythm. But, again, they both changed work-shifts after a while, and things just ran down. In 2010, I had a fun little experience with cancer for about half the year (total remission now). In 2011, we all got together again & had added that 3rd guitarist (watch out, Outlaws!). Played/jammed/yakked for about 8 hours one day. That was the last time I've actually played either guitar or bass, other than to test out & tune the ones that I build.

I haven't really "lost interest"...the urge to play still hits, now and again. And now that I'm retired (5 years in '23), one would assume there's plenty of time to play. One would assume that, I agree. Other medical issues, the never-ending "honey do" list (Yes, dear....), and other things that go with being a full-time homeowner all conspire to sideline the playing. I collect them, build them, and here they sit. Built a decent pedal-board that's yet to be tested out. I know, one day I need to just tell "life" to hang the efff on for a while so I can play again. One day.
              JS20s bass (black)
              JS30RR guitar (metallic blue)
              RR24 guitar (Maul Red Crackle)

......and a lot more.

Guitar amp - Crate G-60 "mini-stack" with 2 12" Celestions
              Bass amp - Ashdown Engineering "Perfect 10" mini rig

Comment

RatDog8o8

It's GREAT to hear you are doing well!!

A half hour here, a half hour there.
                Play when ya can. Ya gotta have a little
                " Me " time occasionally

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
                  RatDog8o8

It's GREAT to hear you are doing well!!

A half hour here, a half hour there.
                  Play when ya can. Ya gotta have a little
                  " Me " time occasionally
                  Many thanks on the well-wishes!

I agree on the "Me" time. About a half-dozen or so project builds to complete, and the cases for those plus another bunch for other guitars I already have. I had more "free time" before I retired, I sometimes believe!
                  JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

RatDog8o8

You make your instrument cases?
                    I was thinking about doing that just to see how far
                    out of my league it would be. But around here the prices of wood have doubled.

I DO, however, make a great mess out of anything I get ahold of!

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
                      RatDog8o8

You make your instrument cases?
                      I was thinking about doing that just to see how far
                      out of my league it would be. But around here the prices of wood have doubled.

I DO, however, make a great mess out of anything I get ahold of!
                      I had to make some minor mods to a doubleneck case by extending it 4 inches to fit one of the new necks, and that's when I saw how relatively simple it was to make a decent case. 1/4 inch plywood and 1/2 inch square "dowels" for the basic construction. Tolex for the outer covering, with whatever hardware (hinges, locks/latches, corner guards) I think will look good (usually either black or chrome, not a huge fan of gold). Inside, the case is custom-fit to each instrument's body shape with a mixture of styrofoam, cushion foam, and fleece. Simple neck support, and usually a couple of "swag boxes" with lids that are either held in place by color-matched velcro or small rare-earth magnets.

It's not a fast process, but I enjoy it. Mostly I've done the typical rectangular cases, but there's a matched set of instruments (SG & EB-3) that have Coffin-style cases (took the measurements from the actual Coffin cases that I have for two of my other instruments).

JS20s bass (black)

......and a lot more.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X