Garlic smell on guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic smell on guitar

Can I use lemon oil on both ebony as well as rosewood/laurel fretboards to get rid/prevent this "garlic-like" smell? I normally use those all in one guitar polishes and Fast Fret. I already searched on google. What works best for you?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I use linseed oil and lately i have been using the music nomad F-one fretboard oil. The music nomad oil has a very good smell on it and that is why i like it. Linseed oil has its own smell too but its pretty neutral and you can get linseed oil cheaper than the name brand products.

Where does the garlic smell come from? I have never heard of garlic smell coming from your guitar.

Comment

I was going to ask the same thing - where did the smell come from?

Because... if it is a used guitar you just bought, you may not want to 'trap' it in to the wood.

Comment

First wash your hands before playing.

Whether lemon oil is safe or not depends on what it is.

Most “lemon oil” now days is merely expensive mineral oil with citrus scented enzymes added. It is not true lemon oil. This would be safe so long as it did not contain silicone or petroleum distillates.

True lemon oil is a different beast. You should NOT use real lemon oil as it contains Limonene, a powerful solvent. It will weaken the glue fastening your frets and fretboard to the guitar.

Be careful not to oil the fretboard too much. The fretboard will swell and pop frets if you oil too frequently

I use Music Nomad F-One oil. Unprocessed oils like linseed are not good because they polymerize. Plant based oils can also go rancid on the wood if applied incorrectly giving you another potential source of stink.
        Last edited by CaptNasty; 07-05-2020, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Also, use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the the fretboard
          and strings when you are finished playing.

Comment

I always wash my hands before and after playing. The smell gets on my left hand's fingers (I'm right handed). I'd be tempted to just change the strings, but then it takes time to wear them in. I just discovered the issue is on both my Warrior Pro (ebony) and my Minion Bass (laurel?). And since no-one locally sells replacement strings for a minion bass, I've got fat chance of replacing them. Additionally, being in lockdown means no-one willing to do setups.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

try some tomato sauce. best case it removes the garlic. worst case your guitar smells like spaghetti.

in all seriousness, I've never had a problem with a guitar smelling. a case, sure, but that's easily solvable with carpet cleaner and a vacuum. the fact that it's on the fingerboard is interesting... I wonder if anybody has ever used baking soda for this purpose. I have a hard time believing it would damage the fingerboard, but it wouldn't hurt to test it on an inconspicuous area of a cheap beater instrument. otherwise, the only other things I can think of are solvents, which can be hit or miss. you really want something which will trap or neutralize the smell rather than simply mask it. the most likely cause of a smelly fingerboard (I presume, as I've never experienced it) would have to be skin oils/shed skin cells going rancid along with bacteria which are decomposing the oil/cells. you'll want to remove all this stuff with a solvent. as Captain Nasty mentioned, stuff like mineral oils or purpose-made fingerboard cleaners are good choices. strong petroleum products will remove too much oil, and "hard" oils like linseed or stuff with silicone or wax will not provide enough solvent action and will create a "build up" which is the opposite of what you want.
              Last edited by metalhobo; 07-05-2020, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I ate fried chicken one day then stupidly picked up my natural oiled mahogany Soloist without washing my hands first. The next day, the wood had swollen where I rested my pinky and a couple days later the guitar smelled like ass. It was the only time I had not washed my hands before handling the guitar.

I used Naphtha to clean the area then re-oiled with F1 oil. Also had to take a little steel wool to the area.

I will not touch my guitars without washing my hands now. I will attest, it only takes one time to mess up a guitar.
                Last edited by CaptNasty; 07-05-2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

So, its not just a recommendation of the lockdown - it will not only kill you but your guitars too!
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Lemon oil or F-1 oil will be fine. Also, maybe try throwing one of those charcoal filters in the case, the ones like they use in some cat litter boxes or fish tank filters, to help eliminate odors.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Maybe try a little toothpaste.

Comment

Try rubbing the neck slowly, medium pressure, up and down your taint. You'll soon get that tangy bum-gravy + cheesy Wotsits flavour ingrained into the wood, it'll be your own Custom Shop scent, a brand, if you like. Remember, it'll smell better than garlic, or "Frenchman" as it's known around here.

Ohhhhh, it's good to be back!
                        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

As soon as I saw the name "Rsmacker", I steeled myself. I didn't last long as the word "taint" was the trigger to a fit of laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                            Try rubbing the neck slowly, medium pressure, up and down your taint. You'll soon get that tangy bum-gravy + cheesy Wotsits flavour ingrained into the wood, it'll be your own Custom Shop scent, a brand, if you like. Remember, it'll smell better than garlic, or "Frenchman" as it's known around here.

Ohhhhh, it's good to be back!
                            That's what she said!

It's good to see you, wilkinsi and Toejam post!

I'm a lemon oil fan. Hell I even use it on my gun stocks.

Comment

I hear Rsmacker also uses lemon oil for lube. I'll ask my wife if she thinks it's a good idea.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X