Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guitar gear trends will the 2020s decade bring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitar gear trends will the 2020s decade bring?

What guitar gear trends do you think the 2020s decade will bring? Let's have some fun speculating. Any predictions are welcome, including guitars, amps, pickups, electronics, software, pedals, and any other gear.

Inspired by the COVID-19 lockdown and the virtual jamming that happens online, I think the next possible step will be virtual reality jamming which may include products such as Boss Waza-Air headphones (https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...aza+headphones) integrated with virtual reality headsets/goggles. Imagine you and your friends/bandmates virtually performing in huge arenas and almost seems real.

Amp simulation/plugin software seems to be advancing rapidly. Many already sound great. They can only get better. As someone who only plays guitar at home and always while seated at my computer desk, I see myself eventually transitioning to using software.

More small and low-wattage amps, or at least the option to select 0.5W becoming a standard feature included on more amps.

I think continued improvements in string and polymer technology will result in better and better coated strings that replicate the natural feel of an uncoated string but offer longer string life and durability than are available with current coated strings.

A continued shift to Chinese production. Just extrapolating from current trends where I'm noticing even South Korean and Indonesian guitars getting increasingly expensive.

Personally I hope to see more retro/tribute style electric guitars. Ibanez has their Genesis line of retro/classic RGs, and ESP recently released (through their LTD brand) their '87 Series guitars. I like these throwbacks to 80s guitars.

Tangent: I realize the 80s were a fascinating decade for guitar design and evolution, but were there any significant guitars of the 1990s that are worth a tribute or reissue in the 2020s (30 years later)? Were the 1990s even a good decade for guitars? I can't really think of any groundbreaking innovations offhand, but I think it was a good decade for the refinement of 80s style guitars. To me, some of my 90s-built guitars are my best 80s-flavored guitars, though this may be an uninformed opinion since I don't own enough 80s-made guitars to fairly judge.

more newer, small domestic companies quickly putting out equipment like guitars, amps, effects, mostly made overseas. we've already seen this in the past decade, but I think it will accelerate.

Comment

hopefully people across the globe, not just niche pockets of people with only enough population to support it in big cities, are ready to party. regardless of any new trends or styles. i just hate getting on a stage and having people say "shh, not so loud, I am trying to live stream"
      What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas... but, like the Herpes, the digital evidence last for ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
        Personally I hope to see more retro/tribute style electric guitars. Ibanez has their Genesis line of retro/classic RGs, and ESP recently released (through their LTD brand) their '87 Series guitars. I like these throwbacks to 80s guitars.

Tangent: I realize the 80s were a fascinating decade for guitar design and evolution, but were there any significant guitars of the 1990s that are worth a tribute or reissue in the 2020s (30 years later)? Were the 1990s even a good decade for guitars? I can't really think of any groundbreaking innovations offhand, but I think it was a good decade for the refinement of 80s style guitars. To me, some of my 90s-built guitars are my best 80s-flavored guitars, though this may be an uninformed opinion since I don't own enough 80s-made guitars to fairly judge.

Jackson/Ibanez launched us from the Gibson/Fender era. But, when "hair metal" died, so did "flash and style". I don't know of anything worth bring back.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
          hopefully people across the globe, not just niche pockets of people with only enough population to support it in big cities, are ready to party. regardless of any new trends or styles. i just hate getting on a stage and having people say "shh, not so loud, I am trying to live stream"
          if someone tried that at my show he'd find himself with a size 10 vulcanized rubber sole boot print on his shirt

Comment

Play it, as Nigel.would say, " 1 Louder "

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I just saw an ad for

Boss Waza Air Headphones.

Interesting. IDK how long it's been a available.
            Sorry, IDK how to post links. There are some vids on
            YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ119 View Post
              Play it, as Nigel.would say, " 1 Louder "

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

I just saw an ad for

Boss Waza Air Headphones.

Interesting. IDK how long it's been a available.
              Sorry, IDK how to post links. There are some vids on
              YouTube.
              I think they have been available for a while now but as far as i see attleast in europe you couldnt have bought them from anywhere maybe because of covid or something.

Comment

I have seen other virtual proximity headphones.
                Seems like a fun thing for the gamer and the virtual reality crowd.

But I can't see that taking over the world any more than the Scholtz Rockman did 40 years ago.

Comment

Not sure this is 100% on topic, but something I think would be cool would be an amp in a transmitter. They've made pedals that are supposed to be 5150 clones with cab in a mini pedal, so the next step seems like a wireless guitar rig where the wireless is the amp as well (change settings via a bluetooth ap or something) and the receiver just plugs into a cab. issue being powering the cab, but hey I only come up with the ideas, let someone else figure out how to make it work

Something else I would like to see, is more pickup manufacturers releasing entirely solderless setups (ZERO soldering, not on the pots, switches or anything) like my EMG's. I know there's people who prefer to solder, and there's no reason they still couldn't, but to me it's a fucking waste of time, especially when my needs change and sometimes the JB doesn't fit anymore and I want a Tone zone instead... but yeah. anyway
                  k bye
                  Last edited by eakinj; 06-06-2020, 06:19 PM.
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Working...
                  X