Worst money ever spent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst money ever spent

We guitar players love our good stuff so much, we post pics when we have satisfied a recent GAS attack. We can blow some serious money on some crappy stuff. Let the humiliation begin:

My worst purchase ever - probably a Line6 POD Pro. Bought it brand new when it came out. Had to order and wait for it. Had such high expectations in my live rig. It was awful. I heard they were really good for direct recording in studio but it did not apply to me. As a pre amp with my tube stereo amp, it was terrible. Went back to my Peavey Rockmaster pre after one gig.

BBE Sonic Maximizer...lasted about 48 hours

Comment

Originally posted by kamanda View Post
      BBE Sonic Maximizer...lasted about 48 hours
      Thats funny. I usually buy cheap used stuff, so I really cant complain. I was trying to think of something that was a total waste of time for me, and the bbe was it.I got it fairly cheap so, no big deal, but its like you read my mind with your post. LOL. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I would have added the variax to this list. But just recently I discovered a stored patch on my flextone 3 that when mated with the 1st custom setting on the variax (Thanks Newc) is pure heaven. Its just still hard to get past how boring and bland the variax looks though.

Comment

Great idea for a topic! I recall three lemons that entered my life.

1. I paid CAD$600 in 2001 dollars for a used 1990 Ibanez RG560 in fair condition with generic hardshell case. Having come from playing acoustic for a few months, this was my first electric so it naturally played much easier. However, maybe it wasn't easy overall, because as my guitar experience increased, I was able to try out more electrics, virtually all of which sounded and played better than this RG560. The climate of the JCF in the 2000s was also very prejudiced against Ibanez, so these two events made me abandon the brand entirely. I resold the guitar for quite a loss.

Perhaps I've grown more open-minded, because starting in 2016 I bought five Ibanez guitars and kept three of them (not that there was anything wrong with the other two). But I'll never understand why that particular RG560 was such a lemon, especially one that comes from a coveted era in Ibanez manufacturing.

Lesson learned: Don't neglect an entire brand based on the experience of just one item.

2. In 2014, during an "acoustic-only" phase of my playing, I paid CAD$225 for a used 2005 Yamaha FG720S-12 in excellent condition with a generic hardshell case. It had an issue with the action being too high, despite the saddle being very low. The skills required to remedy this situation were beyond my abilities and not worth the cost to fix (it possibly needed a neck reset, which is not easy or cheap on a setneck guitar). I was able to resell this guitar without taking too much of a hit.

Lesson learned: Don't be blinded by gear lust, especially when prices seem tempting.

3. In 2016, I paid CAD$180 for a used 1987/88 Charvel Model 1 in fair condition. It sounded awesome, but in my quest to set it up and make it playable, I encountered some bizarre scenarios that led to one JCFer calling it a cursed guitar. Yeah, it was probably haunted. It is documented in detail here (sorry about Photobucket killing my picture links): https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...er-cheap-deal) Fortunately I resold it to someone who wanted it badly.

Lesson learned: I clearly didn't learn anything from the Yamaha purchase in 2014 because I was again blinded by gear lust and the low price. Since this event, I've actually become more "paranoid". If my sixth sense detects that a guitar has something awry about it, I don't buy it. I don't need new guitars that badly.

These days, most of my purchases are awesome products that I simply don't have much time to use, so I suppose they could also be considered poor purchasing decisions. (Example: I think I've used my Line 6 Helix LT about five times, three of which were to record videos for Youtube, and I think I've used my KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors only once so far...)
        Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 10-26-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

I met this hooker once...

Oh, you meant guitar money.
          Worst money I ever spent wasn't on gear. It was on a repair service.
          I've already posted about it on the forum when it happened. So I will just give the highlighted version - Brian Howard of Brian Howard Guitars, Hummelstown Pennsylvania. A simple setup and a one fret repair turned into a laundry list of fixes and some shady billing. But even worse, was the fact that my guitar now gave me muscle spams. I couldn't even determine what was wrong with it, because I was limited to a few notes each time I played before my hand and arm locked up. Hand would be unusable for a half hour, but I couldn't play guitar for hours because of the pain that remained.

I had to sell the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by catzodellamarina View Post
            We guitar players love our good stuff so much, we post pics when we have satisfied a recent GAS attack. We can blow some serious money on some crappy stuff. Let the humiliation begin:

My worst purchase ever - probably a Line6 POD Pro. Bought it brand new when it came out. Had to order and wait for it. Had such high expectations in my live rig. It was awful. I heard they were really good for direct recording in studio but it did not apply to me. As a pre amp with my tube stereo amp, it was terrible. Went back to my Peavey Rockmaster pre after one gig.
            Huh... I used a pod pro/9200/412 setup for years. Always had good tones out of it. Live, it is absolutely not plug n play. You have to shut off cab sims and edit tones at stage volume, not set them at low volume and then turn it up.
            Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              I met this hooker once...

Oh, you meant guitar money.
              Worst money I ever spent wasn't on gear. It was on a repair service.
              I've already posted about it on the forum when it happened. So I will just give the highlighted version - Brian Howard of Brian Howard Guitars, Hummelstown Pennsylvania. A simple setup and a one fret repair turned into a laundry list of fixes and some shady billing. But even worse, was the fact that my guitar now gave me muscle spams. I couldn't even determine what was wrong with it, because I was limited to a few notes each time I played before my hand and arm locked up. Hand would be unusable for a half hour, but I couldn't play guitar for hours because of the pain that remained.

I had to sell the guitar.
              Ok, start a new thread. I want to hear the hooker story. LOL. Start the thread and then go wake up Rsmacker Im sure it will get quite interesting fast. LOL

Comment

KV3

Frets worn out, trem on it's last legs, points busted, not a bad guitar per se, but spent way too much money on acquisition
                €350 for a high milage axe, while that money bought me a fusion in great shape just a little later (and later a charvel fusion in even better shape )
                At least it was my own mistake, one I've learned from, instead of getting suckered into a bad buy by a salesman
                Gave it away to someone to serve as a project guitar
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                X