Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why haven't guitar strings gotten cheaper? (Very few non-USA manufacturers?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why haven't guitar strings gotten cheaper? (Very few non-USA manufacturers?)

Popular string companies that instantly come to mind, including D'Addario, Elixir, Ernie Ball, Fender, Martin, Dean Markley, DR, Dunlop, Gibson... all made in the USA (correct me if I am wrong).

In a Canadian retail store, a typical pack of nickel plated steel D'Addario electric guitar strings costs about CAD$7.00 (USD$5.50).

Why haven't overseas manufacturers found ways to reduce these costs of basic nickel plated steel strings?

Related question: Why haven't overseas manufacturers found ways to copy PREMIUM-priced strings (D'Addario NYXL, Ernie Ball Paradigm, any coated string) and offer them at reduced prices?

I just find it interesting that overseas manufacturing has created a "race to the bottom" for nearly every product in the world, but guitar strings remain dominated by American manufacturers.

Perhaps stuff like this simply can't be done any cheaper
    Production is probably fully automated by machines that have been paid off decades ago

What use is getting it made for $2,50 in the east when import and transportation adds an extra $3.25 when it can be domestically made for $5?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
      Popular string companies that instantly come to mind, including D'Addario, Elixir, Ernie Ball, Fender, Martin, Dean Markley, DR, Dunlop, Gibson... all made in the USA (correct me if I am wrong).
      Martin's strings are actually made in their Mexican factory, as well as some of their cheaper guitars. Why the strings aren't cheaper in price, I don't know.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ah, that explains why Martin Darco electric strings are only USD$2.89 at http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/bomadaniwoel.html. I was eyeing those ones based on price alone.

Comment

Interesting. I didn't even know they made electric strings. They made one or two electric guitars in the late '70s that really didn't take off and just stuck with acoustics.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If I'm lucky, I'll find Darcos down to $8 in a discount bin. Ernie Balls, D'Addario, etc are $12-18 here. Premium strings get up around the $30+ mark
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Guitar strings will be one of these things that even if they are made else where the prices will stay the same and profit margins with go up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                Guitar strings will be one of these things that even if they are made else where the prices will stay the same and profit margins with go up.
                Yeah, in the end it's about maximizing profits, not, giving customers the best deal
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The Asians are making strings, but they aren't selling them on the cheap. They are selling them with fake logos.

Comment

I miss when you used to be able to get D'Addario 10 packs for $20 out the door from Guitar Center.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Holy crap xeno, I recently started following string prices and I clearly missed the boat on those $2/pack D'Addarios. The cheapest I found so far was this, at $2.69/pack, and was offered only at Christmas 2016: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...s-there-better

Comment

It's been a long while since they were that cheap. I think the GC price was $22+tax or something, but I always got them out the door for cheaper.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I was checking out an old axe I bought back in the 80's, giving it a little love. In the case was an old Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9's container with the price tag still on it. $6.45 marked down to $5.50.

This was a mom and pop (really only pop) that's been closed for 25 years I'd guess.

Guild brand strings price list from 1970...

http://www.musicmansteve.com/catalog...ingsCover2.jpg

and official "Floyd Rose" strings from 1987..

http://www.vintagekramer.com/price/87pricelist5.jpeg
                          Last edited by Vass; 09-04-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Look at it this way: string prices have remained pretty consistent over the years, not even keeping
                            pace with inflation. So, in a way, they HAVE gotten cheaper...

Comment

Just received the latest e-mail newsletter from StringsAndBeyond.com for their current promotion.

USD$38.99 for thirteen packs of D'Addario EXL strings = USD$3.00/pack. Not quite the USD$2.69/pack at Christmas 2016 but this is the lowest D'Addario electric string price I've seen since then. Doesn't quite beat the USD$2.89 Martin Darco strings I linked above: https://www.jcfonline.com/threads/15...=1#post1665258

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dex1...eid=b48da403ed

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X