Opinions on living is New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on living is New Orleans

I have a potential job opportunity in New Orleans and want to know anyone's experience with living there.
    Ideally, post-Katrina experience is more helpful, but I'll take any real-world experience. Online info is all over the place and a lot of it is dated.

NOLA is known for Bourbon St, the French Quarter, the cuisine, and uh.. beads, but are there suburban-type areas nearby suitable for raising a family? I know the answer is probable 'yes', as most cities have a commutable family-friendly areas, but I'd like some tangible info I can use to convince my wife (and her parents) that it's not (just) a voodoo region of sin.

I know crime is prevalent in all cities, large or small, and over the past 10 years, we've lived in 5 states in places including New York City and Indianapolis. Population-wise, NOLA is smaller than Indy, which I find a plus.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

No experience living.
    But I can tell you (which you probably already know), it's been 10 years and a lot of places still have not been fixed. You can very easily move into a mold infested death trap.

Since you are in snowy white Baw-stin it is going to be quite a change, and because you have a family to consider --- I am going to say, go work there for a year. Let your family stay behind. You can make the move permanent later on if you want, without having to uproot everything in case it ends up being the a bad idea.

Comment

The pot holes are fucking epic, that's for sure.

I've been through a few times for work. Be careful, and don't live in the city.

Comment

Pot holes there are worse than the Northeast? Maybe Katrina did a number on them.

I haven’t updated my location in decade. I’m not from Boston, but lived there many years. There’s no worry of uprooting us since we’ve been moving every year more or less for the past 5 years. This was not our plan, but both my wife and I work and we have been trying to work out the best work for us, almost taking turns with one of us finding a job in a town first then the other trying to find work nearby.

We just moved 2 months ago to south Florida for my wife’s work. This is the area she always wanted to live and work. The irony is her work has been nothing short of a nightmare since her start. I almost never see her and when I do, she is absolutely miserable. What’s the point of living in your dream area if you can’t enjoy it?

I haven’t found anything locally yet as it’s a tough market here, but this NOLA gig presented itself, which could be our ticket to a better life overall. Obviously, I need to make sure my gig will work out long-term, and totally see the importance of not moving all of us there until we figure that out. I also don’t want to take her away from her job and especially the area she wants to work, but I don’t see her able to sustain the hours she’s putting into it.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If you like beetles the size of a hubcap you might.
          No matter how much bug spray you treat your house with you will always have cockroaches,beetles,flying ants that bite while you are in bed asleep just keep that in mind.
          Highest gang murder rate in the US.
          So hot and steamy you can cut it with a knife.
          The food is outstanding and thats the only good thing about NOLA I can think of.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Born and raised outside New Orleans for 22 years. Didn't get to explore the employment opportunities, especially those that required documented skills. While on the surface it appears to rely heavily on tourism, there are other industries.

Definitely hit up the various job sites and search the area. You might find something across the Lake in Baton Rouge, or even closer to the Coast in Mississippi or even Alabama. Don't overlook Georgia or South Carolina. They've got coastline similar to Florida, and Atlantic hurricanes are no better or worse than those which come into the Gulf.
            And then there's always Texas. They've got Gulf exposure, and it's not too shabby, as I understand it.

However, New Orleans is currently undergoing an Antifa assault over Confederate monuments and rights and freedoms in general, not to mention there's a douchebag or two driving around I-10 shooting other drivers. Lots of "imports" from other parts of the country trying to carve out their own territory, and it's spreading out to the 'burbs.

My widow-in-law lives there, and I'm in touch with people I grew up and went to school with, and their Failbook feeds keep up with such news. It's not 100% bad - it's a major metropolis with the same old problems.
            Same flying cockroaches you find in Florida, and the humidity in August can inspire thoughts of suicide.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The city is below sea level and sinking. Cool town for sure, great music scene. It's a place to visit, not to live. Unless you don't mind all your shit ending up under water at some point.

Comment

Working...
              X