Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of the electric guitar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...=.27b30a5a9a71
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Sad, but a lot of truth in that article.

Comment

Here's another non-subscriber link: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/ente...r-11239682.php
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

It's sad to see shops shutting down, but it's no surprise considering the flooded used instrument market and the ridiculous deals that can be had.
        With entry level models like a JS Jackson breaking the $500 Canadian mark versus $500 getting you a barely used pro series and hardcase with plenty of money left over, it easy to see the competition is exceptionally tough.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

As much as I like to blame the internet for many thing, the demand is way down because of exactly what the article said - there's no "heroes", no fresh brood of players.

Comment

Even if we do get great players with chops and stage presence
            Today's kids are watching guys standing at a desk with 3 laptops on top of it, clapping their hands

I remember a long time ago, before I started guitar, I had "Screamtracker" a pattern based sample player program (similar programs were mostly used in making videogame music)
            I once used it to prove to a friend how easy it was to make a "House" track: insert drum and snare to specific pattern, repeat ad nauseum, after 4 or 8 beats,
            add 3 or 4 tone melody, repeat until it gets boring, padded chord progression on the bridge, then return to start of track to repeat, Done!

This was a whole lot easier than trying to play my first chord on 3 strings, apart from the costs of getting an instrument for some teen kid with no money
            and then we get to the crux of the matter: it's WAY more accessible for everyday kids wanting to make music

Now, don't get me wrong, I once saw a little piece with DJ Tiesto in the studio working an AKAI APC (or something similar), in a manner which I'd not be able to imitate without years of practice
            But that's not going on live, where it's just "Push Play to start show"
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              As much as I like to blame the internet for many thing, the demand is way down because of exactly what the article said - there's no "heroes", no fresh brood of players.
              There are great players out there, they just don't get the lime light like before. It's not good enough to be an amazing player anymore, its been done. The innovators from before brought something new and exciting. Rock was new, with lots of new avenues to take. The legends are the pioneers. Today's pioneers are people like Tosin Abasi and Misha Mansoor. They've inspired a few, but I don't think it will ever be like before again. Their music is a lot more disagreeable than say, VH. It's just all been done.

Look at the 90s, you were either still going from the 70s and 80s, a hack (not my opinion, but that's what a lot of people seem to try to imply), or innovating and got famous even though (this is my opinion) you weren't necessarily a great player. Like Tom Morello (still a fan) and grunge.

The internet does have something to do with it, but more technology in general. It's allowed people to diverge into smaller paths and more specific genres of music. What this does is spread what little rock fan base there is across A LOT of music. Add in how easy it is to get your music out there today now that you don't have to rely on record companies, and can get pretty damn decent quality recordings without leaving the house and it's a recipe for nobody getting famous.
              Before, you had the radio, MTV, the record store, friends, and whatever you could see live. Wanted to record a decent quality album? Studio time! There were probably just as many bands then as there is today, but that was a lot more focused in, allowing for rockstar guitar heros.

The majority of the rock fan base does still get their music from the same tried and tired path of the radio and TV but most of those commercial bands are lacking in the guitar department and heavy in the pop department. There has been a little bit of a revival with bands like Five Finger Death Punch and I guess Volbeat even though, man those licks are tired.

As for guitar sales, it's definitely the used market, as said. My theory is a little different for how we got to this though. I do think people selling off collections is part of it, but there's no way it accounts for the whole problem. I also think the internet is a little bit to blame.

You had forum classifieds come in, allowing people to advertise their instrument for sale to a broader range of people than consignment at your local shop. Then you had Ebay, really opened doors. Then Craigslist, opening a broad local ad. And now, right on Facebook where everyone is. It doesn't take long, paying attention to the Facebook sale pages before your ass cheeks clinch and you're not willing to fork out much cash for music gear.

The acoustic sales is because country is the powerhouse that never stops. Combine that with it being easier to get your music out there and you've got millions of new singer/songwriter/youtuber types dishing out for Taylor's.
              Last edited by TKEblue; 06-25-2017, 10:00 AM.
              I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

My 3 points:

The market is saturated to death on all points regarding rock and guitar music.

People don't think and loose the art of being creative as it does not get developed so people just copy and follow others. Which as time clearly shows slowly gets worse and by 2017 nothing of interest. Volbeat? Their luck is in Qprime to back them up.

So we need GNR to be friends and reunite as it can't be better than that? Really?

The main point is to create songs that people will pay for one way or another not to be the most amazing guitarist!

Most musicians are cheap and are happy with their low budget gear.

Sure we got great outlets for music these days but you need to know how to market and have something of value to bring. Troy Stetina finally had a great band going instead of the guitar teaching which he is famous for but the lack of money and founding kills the drive to bitterness as marketing is not for a musician and that is what a record label and management used to do.
                What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

hard rock guitar has been dead for so long now. we're in a different age, and nobody wants to put an effort into anything, it's just done.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                    hard rock guitar has been dead for so long now. we're in a different age, and nobody wants to put an effort into anything, it's just done.
                    And it sucks monkey nuts I must add. The only newer bands that have caught my attention over the years are Godsmack, FFDP, and Disturbed. Volbeat's meh to me, but my wife loves them. At least they try to rock. I listen to XM radio, and yes I'm stuck on Hair Nation and Ozzy's Boneyard. I'll occasionally listen to the local "classic rock" station, but it's more because I'm listening to the "John Boy and Billy Show". The only bands I listened to back in the day to still put out good material is Testament and Anthrax. Megadeth's last album had some decent tracks on it too.

The problem is the crap that's been put out by the bands I like for the past twenty years have for the most part been sucking the same monkey nuts I originally referred to. Instead of making the best album they can, they try to "broaden their horizons" and "gain new fans". All the while they drive away even the most die hard fans. The last Ozzy album I could stand to listen to is Ozzmosis for Christ's sake. Metallica, fuck Metallica.

I just stick to what I love, and occasionally catch a breath of fresh air (like Anthrax's "For All Kings" last year), but for the most part I know that the days of killer albums are long gone for me. Yeah, for the record, I love the same old tired shit. I don't need my horizons broadened, that's what killed rock in the first place. Hell, even pop sucks monkey nuts. No Phil Collins, no Duran Duran, no Journey, etc.... blah blah blah. Just Miley Cyrus and a bunch of other attention whore and thug life wanne be peices of shit. I hate 'em, with a mother fuckin' passion.
                    Last edited by Razor; 06-28-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor View Post
                      Just Miley Cyrus and a bunch of other attention whore and thug life wanne be peices of shit. I hate 'em, with a mother fuckin' passion.
                      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                        Maybe I'm taking this statement out of context but I strongly disagree with the way it reads (And hey even if I'm wrong in how I read it, at least I can plug some awesome bands . I have friends in bands who play all over the place, putting in the hours, kicking ass and taking notes. Cultural Warfare https://culturalwarfare.bandcamp.com/ Warbringer, Witchaven, Tormenter, Hammershot, Hellheart, Angerthead, Kinnefret, Anisoptera, Souless Demise, Toyt Called God, The King Must Die,

Maybe it's just because I am still in the Cali bay area and the spirit of the metal scene is still holding on. still some awesome venues, ... it's not dead yet
                        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Working...
                        X