Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Center's Finances Getting Worse

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-near-new-lows

I'm not a doom and gloomer saying they're going to go out of business. But those credit ratings and finances are shite. And absent a major restructuring - including their creditors taking a haircut on the existing debt - it's not going to get any better.

Yeah, not sure if they'll survive the next couple of years without serious help.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Maybe FMIC will come to their rescue as well lol
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

The GC in my city--admittedly a musical ghost town--is so sad. Big ass store and
        eerily empty. Mostly imports, and cheap ones at that. Absolutely no high-end amps
        to speak of. Given the bad economy in this area, I'm surprised it's able to stay open
        at all...

I wonder if the next domino to fall is Musician's Friend? Aren't they the parent company
        to GC, or is it the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
          Big ass store and eerily empty. Mostly imports, and cheap ones at that. Absolutely no high-end amps
          to speak of.
          That actually seems to be the norm. Every GC within a 200 mile radius of me is the same. They just don't like to stock anything high-end, and part of the reason may be their policy of letting anyone handle anything in the store.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

My closesst GC seems to never move the stock they have and the used wall has less guitars on it then I own.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              They just don't like to stock anything high-end

If people would be interested in high end, they would have them in stock, no half decent businessman will want to miss out on things that sell
              Whenever I see high end gear, it's usually been warming the shelves for quite some time, that's a lot of stock value not moving into the cash register
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                If people would be interested in high end, they would have them in stock, no half decent businessman will want to miss out on things that sell
                Whenever I see high end gear, it's usually been warming the shelves for quite some time, that's a lot of stock value not moving into the cash register
                I can see that side of it, also. However..... when an item is expensive, people tend to get more picky about buying it sight unseen. For example, a few years ago I got interested in the Marshall JVM410H head. I REALLY wanted to try one out before buying, but I never found one anywhere. Yes, I know about GC's return policy, blah blah blah. But I wanted to try it first. I asked a GC salesman why they don't stock them and he looked at me like I was crazy and said, "That's a $2500.00 amp!" I was like, "No shit, Sherlock. And who is going to buy a $2500.00 amp without trying it out first?!"

Anyway, I wound up getting a used one through their Used Gear site, but you would think they could at least have a store demo of some of the nicer stuff.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Ah, GC. The place used to be a wonderland, now you wonder around until you're like, "I guess I'll try this out".

Probably not all their fault either. With pretty much all tiers of instrument moving up in price, they don't stock what was mid range because it's too pricey, and the $5-800 upper low end/lower mid end guitars aren't that compelling.
                  I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                    Ah, GC. The place used to be a wonderland....
                    It's very sad. Back in about '89 or '90, I got to visit L.A. For a guitars and metal obsessed kid from deepest darkest rural England, the GC on Sunset Blvd was just that, a wonderland!

Comment

Back in 92 when I bought my Rhoads LTD the GC I went to in (I want to say santa clara, ca) had a few Jacksons on the wall and Les Paul Customers all over the place. I remember very specifically there was an air brushed Jackson Rhoads with a lizard of some kind or Iguana sitting on desert sand or something along those lines. if I had the money then that I have now, holy gawdz I'd have a room full of nice stuff, lol.
                      In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

The one closest to me is in a pretty decent area, not economically depressed at all(solid upper middle class). However it is also a ghost town, the walls are half empty. What they do have is low end, most of the floor space is empty(you could easily get a game of touch football in the main area because their's nothing in the way). Maybe 10 amps in the store, all combos, maybe 2 4x12's, even the amount of accessories is less than half of what they used to carry. The same thing with drums, and hell, everything... I was shocked last time I went there, and I don't foresee them being open much longer.

Without at least moving, 2/3 of the store was empty...
                        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Jayster,

Sounds like the GC in Fayetteville, GA.

Comment

So, you've been there!?!! I pass by it twice a day, I have bought some nicer stuff in the past from them but was absolutely shocked the last time I was in there....
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Sho have. I live in Atlanta, I've been to all of the local GCs and the one in Marietta is the only one really worth a fuck here.

Comment

Working...
                              X