Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else hitting the range this weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else hitting the range this weekend?

I'm enjoying the rain today. I figured it would be a good day to pump the brakes a little and focus on pistol work.

Worked a lot on sight tracking. One of my favorite drills that I've only recently added is the 15-in-10 drill. 15 shots (5 @ 20y, 5 @ 10y, 5 @ 5y) and all are required to have been fired in a combined total of 10 seconds. This is a run I sent to my wife when she was asking how everything was going. Came in at 10.08, so while a little slow, I just have to keep working at it.

If you're going to score it, it's supposed to be shot with an IPSC. You're allowed 1 C-zone per string and no Ds. Given it was raining and I hate taping targets in the rain, I just shot it with some of the steel my club has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOZptVCIbx0

For size reference on the target.

What about you guys? How're your weekend's going?

I'd like to hit the range, but I hate going by myself so I'll probably end up hanging around the house tomorrow as I'm sure I won't be able to convince my best friend to hit the range. If the weather would cooperate, I'd be taking the boat to the lake preferably, but I'm that keen on standing in the boat in the middle of the lake holding a 7 foot lightning rod...

Nice shooting by the way!

Comment

I wish I could today but the place close to home is still muddy.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Almost two weeks later, I'm going to the range tomorrow. I picked up an `80s Italian-made Beretta 92F (not FS) that I want to compare to my Taurus PT92, plus try some of the new Hornady American Gunner XTP ammo in my wife's S&W Bodyguard 380. Wretched gun, but it's what she wanted.
        sigpic

Comment

Actually went today and had a blast.
          Gave my Springfield Milspec GI 1911A1 a good work out.Fine fine shooter.
          Picked up a Vector Arms made circle 11 Polish AKM underfolder the other day and gave it a sound thrashing.
          Found the AKM in a pawn shop and traded for it.
          It was decked out in Krylon paint that looked horrible. I removed the paint and got it back in tip top shape.
          Last edited by straycat; 05-08-2015, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I bet that AKM is a blast to shoot, brother.

I went out last night and worked slow fire at 25 and 50 yards before shooting the Humbler. Barely managed a 589 last night...gotta work on my strong hand rapid fire and prone. The most enjoyable part was being able to just take it slow and work groups on bulls. Shot a 97-3x last night @ 25 yards with Blazer and a pretty respectable 3.6" group at 50 yards with Nosler match 124gr.

I'm really starting to come around to the Gen 4 Glocks. I'm noticeably more accurate than any of my Gen 3s ever were, even my old teaching pistol that had a KKM barrel and a - connector.

Comment

Like the custom stiple job...
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Good shooting.
                I love just about any AKM rifle just getting used to the underfolder is a challenge.Has a very different cheek weld than a fixed stock but not totally uncomfortable.
                The circle 11 is a sweet running gun.
                Had my Iraqi bring back DPMS AR15/ M4 on the steel range and for such a beat up gun it shoots wherever you point it and stays right on target.
                The ACOG is a huge factor of course.
                Others were having problems with the bright sunlight but with the Kill Flash on the ACOG it really cuts the suns glare down and targets are nice and clear.
                This M4 is just so smooth with the stock GI trigger it makes run and gun so much fun.
                A couple of guys wanted to run six steel targets from left to right and do double taps on each target while on the run.
                I was able to double tap the first 5 and only hit one of two shots on target six. Thats how smooth this beater gun is.
                We had a few 3 gun guys with light triggered AR's and I got more hits than they did.
                The guy that won over all for the day asked me what trigger have you got in your gun? I said stock GI and he called BS no way dude your trigger has to be 3 lb or less I said no measure it if you want.He did and found it was a 6 lb trigger pull.
                He gave me a compliment saying man you can rock a GI trigger better than I can and most guys I shoot with.
                The darn gun runs like butter. All I have done to it was clean it and toss the ACOG on it.
                Last edited by straycat; 05-09-2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Like the custom stiple job...
                  A 4-pack of 90 Minute IPA and a whole lot of patience. I had forgotten how much I hate stippling until I dedicated to doing that one.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    I love just about any AKM rifle just getting used to the underfolder is a challenge.Has a very different cheek weld than a fixed stock but not totally uncomfortable.
                    I would imagine so. I don't own an AK variant of any kind, and my experience shooting them is limited to familiarization ranges OCONUS. But I gotta say, if you can run one, kudos to you. The sight radius and safety position is what really gets me with the AKs. I'm sure I could scoop one off a dead dude and give it a good running, but I've been saving for a new KMR railed BCM carbine for my wife and I to shoot together, so for now that's where my proficiency will stay at.

She doesn't like my M4 very much because of the weight lol

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                      A 4-pack of 90 Minute IPA and a whole lot of patience. I had forgotten how much I hate stippling until I dedicated to doing that one.
                      You did that yourself? Awesome... did you do any contouring as well? Anyway, looks fucking pro!

Comment

I just used a Dremel to take off the factory texturing and evenly smooth out the frame, then I hit it with a cheap soldering iron that came in a tool kit I have. I've seen some guys who do amazing work, but all I can do is that "dimple" pattern.

Comment

Well, looks like you did a really decent job. I've seen people pay for worse. I forgot who started doing that first... there was a company that specialized in Glock mods like... a decade ago, but your stipling looks just like that. Good job either way. And yeah, it sure does improve a Glock by a great margin, IMO.

Comment

Very time consuming I'll bet.

Comment

Working...
                            X