Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here sail? I'm looking to buy a catamaran - Help needed

Here is my situation

I have little to no sailing experience (I've been out once or twice with a friend), but am a quick learner, so I'm not too worried about that.

We have a small lake here by my house (about 6 feet deep, 120ish acres) that I will do most of my sailing on.

I also live near the great salt lake in Utah and will go there a few times a month.

I am 6'4", 200 lbs, so I'm a decently big guy in good shape (I run marathons, so not big and bulky)

I want to be able to sail around and just enjoy being on the water, and I want to be able to sail with one hull in the water going fast (the small lake will be just for chilling, the great salt lake will be for speed/one hull stuff).

These are examples of what I'd like to do
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc8GI6RR_f0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtdKC3eCek

I will primarily sail alone, but want to have the capability to take my wife, neices/nephews, and other family members.

I've been watching the local classifieds for a hobie 16 for the last few months, but all the good ones get snapped up pretty quickly, so I still am empty handed.

Thinking more about a hobie 16, I've read you don't want to sail them with more than about 280 lbs, so me and a child. Maybe I should look for a bigger cat. My big thing with going bigger is that as I said I will be sailing alone quite a bit, so I don't want something too overwhelming. I also don't want to lose maneuverability and speed, and want to be able to go with one hull up in the air

Now I'm thinking maybe Nacra 5.8. Would I be able to handle it alone? I have a friend that will teach me to use it, so I'm not overly concerned about how hard it is while I'm still learning, and as I said, I hope to become an advanced beginner/intermediate pretty quickly (a couple months?)

Does anyone here have any input?

Thank you

Yeah, I've been on a family friend's Hobie 16 once. He wouldn't sail it alone......he said he needed at least two people's weight to right it after capsizing. I remember when the 18' came out. It had more mass on the front of the hulls to keep them from riding low and getting stuck in waves. You can see it happening in the video.

"Flying a hull" will depend on how much wind is available, and will be a balancing act. The "trapeze" is the rigging allowing the guy to stand on the side of the hull.

Sailing is fun on any boat. I learned on an AMF Sunfish. It was small, bulletproof, and good for one or two. I miss sailing sometimes when the wind is just right. Hauling a boat can be a pain, though. And if you like this hobby enough you might never be satisfied until you're living on a body of water. $$$

You're lucky to have a buddy that sails. Maybe he can get you onto a Hobie to try it.
    Last edited by Grawnday; 07-23-2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I used to have a Hobie and it was great fun. That thing would go even in the lightest winds. When it was on the calm side I would just lay down on the trampoline and steer the rudders with my feet.

Sorry I can't help you with picking one out though. Is there a place local you can rent one?

Comment

I have an older 20' motor boat and it can be a handful when using it alone, getting it on the trailer, etc.

If you are primarily using it alone, any concerns with a catamaran that size for for you?
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
        X