Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey boys would you join a band just for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZL1hawk View Post
    I have one hesitation. A few of those guys can really play, mainly the drummer, should I just throw myself into it?

I'd really like to do this.
    I look at it this way, whether you are doing it for fun or to actually do gigs, playing with people better than you will help you get better. The fact that you are hesitant and said what you said already means that you'll try to be on your A game. So just by them asking it's already having the effect.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
      +1 Couldn't have said it better. Problem for me is that I'm 'new in town' and don't have any kind of musical history / old friends who I used to play with here. So that leaves craigslist. And well, you can imagine...
      Music stores are were I've joined 90% of the bands I've ever been in.

Comment

I won't get out of bed for less than $10,000

there's minimal risk that this will be a waste of time or effort. Music is a journey and if nothing else, your playing should lift by surrounding yourself with good musicians. You might add a few unfamiliar songs to your repertoire, tighten up your ensemble playing and develop some skills while you're at it. If it only lasts for a few months, you should still come out of it a better player than you were 6 months ago.

You might have a few laughs and gather a few good war stories while you're at it.

All sounds good to me
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          I won't get out of bed for less than $10,000

But after all of the 'business' that nets us that kind of cash, don't you sometimes just need to do non business stuff in order to keep your sanity?

Comment

This was actually very cool! It was rough at first playing with a full band again after playing for a few years just on my own. Jamming alone brings on bad habits which amount to some sloppy play on my part but the rust was shaken off after a few songs and I fell right in line. They did invite me back though so I wasn't too bad I guess. Good fun and a great time but damn those guys are hard to keep up with. Phew!

Comment

awesome, man. Glad you had fun and very cool they want you back. Good times
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by micha View Post
                I joined a fun band about 15 years ago, today these guys are my best friends and we still enjoy to hang out.
                Unless you want to play for a living I don't see anything wrong with it.
                Just be sure you all expect the same from this project.
                The exact same thing happened to me! Those dudes are now part of my family.
                None of us wanted to make a job out of it, just play for yucks at the occasional
                party. Haven't had an argument in close to 15 years...

Comment

Best way to improve your playing is to play with other people -- in particular people who are better than you. So hell yes, jump in.

Comment

I am in 3 bands. a hard rock band that plays my songs, a country band where I play somebody else's songs, and a Christian band where I play drums! all of the experiences push me as a player, writer, performer, arranger - it's GREAT!!
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Glad its working out for you. To answer your original post question.. no I wouldn't. There is only one thing that I look for in any band I am in.. the band has to sound great. Not good... GREAT. If it doesn't sound great I am not happy. If there is a musician in the band who can't hack it or is lazy.. they are gone. I am the Mark Wahlberg (Rockstar) of any band I am in. I know every part of every song. I have borderline perfect pitch and can play every instrument and sing every part including every backup vocal so I know how everything should go together. If there are any flaws in the execution at rehearsal I will stop the song and correct whoever made the mistake. We won't play a song live until we can nail it several times at rehearsal. Its like the military. I am the General. To me.. its outstandingly fun. To my bandmates... not so much sometimes but the payoff is at the shows when people constantly compliment how great the band sounds.. especially when it comes from other musicians. I live for that stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                        I am in 3 bands. a hard rock band that plays my songs, a country band where I play somebody else's songs, and a Christian band where I play drums! all of the experiences push me as a player, writer, performer, arranger - it's GREAT!!
                        I hear you Mark.. at one point I was writing, singing and playing lead guitar in an original progressive metal band, I was playing bass in a southern rock band, I was in an Eric Clapton tribute band playing Jack Bruce and a top 40 high energy rock cover band playing guitar.

Comment

And another thing regarding the original poster... its REALLY fun playing with your old friends or bandmates regardless of how it sounds. You just can't replace all those memories that flash back when you are playing!

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Glad its working out for you. To answer your original post question.. no I wouldn't. There is only one thing that I look for in any band I am in.. the band has to sound great. Not good... GREAT. If it doesn't sound great I am not happy. If there is a musician in the band who can't hack it or is lazy.. they are gone. I am the Mark Wahlberg (Rockstar) of any band I am in. I know every part of every song. I have borderline perfect pitch and can play every instrument and sing every part including every backup vocal so I know how everything should go together. If there are any flaws in the execution at rehearsal I will stop the song and correct whoever made the mistake. We won't play a song live until we can nail it several times at rehearsal. Its like the military. I am the General. To me.. its outstandingly fun. To my bandmates... not so much sometimes but the payoff is at the shows when people constantly compliment how great the band sounds.. especially when it comes from other musicians. I live for that stuff....
                            Absolutely! People are hired for their talents and they have to produce those talents at will. I actually prefer having a driving force in the group who is setting the standard and expectations. It's a good thing and it sets members up for success.

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            And another thing regarding the original poster... its REALLY fun playing with your old friends or bandmates regardless of how it sounds. You just can't replace all those memories that flash back when you are playing!
                            Probably the best feeling in the world right there. I love it.

Comment

Sounds ideal if they are good players...

Better than gigging with the usual dropkick `serious pros` who are`nt nearly as great as what they think they are!
                              Last edited by Mr Sandman; 07-15-2014, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X