Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey boys would you join a band just for fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey boys would you join a band just for fun?

I got an invite to join 2 bands from a friend of mine. 1 is a throw back thrash band and the other is death metal. The farthest we'd go out of a garage is play a party but the members are adamant this will only be for kicks. No recordings, no promoting, the other musicians are above average players and all I have to do is say yes.

Would you join up just for fun?

Or is this just a waste of effort and time?

I've played in a few bands with my friends in the Army. We just jam out and have fun.

I would absolutely do it. Part of being a musician is enjoying playing your instrument. I've had more fun at those jam sessions than a lot of "serious" bands I've been in.

It's about 1000 times better than playing alone in your house.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
      I've played in a few bands with my friends in the Army. We just jam out and have fun.

I would absolutely do it. Part of being a musician is enjoying playing your instrument. I've had more fun at those jam sessions than a lot of "serious" bands I've been in.

It's about 1000 times better than playing alone in your house.
      I have one hesitation. A few of those guys can really play, mainly the drummer, should I just throw myself into it?

I'd really like to do this.

Comment

Absolutely! I'd much sooner play with a bunch of friends having a laugh.
        I'm in a "band" at the moment, we get together regularly, play a bunch of fun songs pretty well and generally have a good time. Sadly, one of our number is now getting pissy 'cos we're not trying hard enough to get gigs, and is doing a pretty good job of sucking all of the joy out of it....

Comment

ZL1 - do it mate! You won't regret it.
          I'd love to be in your position. I'm pretty pissed off with mine at the moment....

Comment

I think I'm going to jump right in and if I suck they'll show me the exit.

Comment

I joined a fun band about 15 years ago, today these guys are my best friends and we still enjoy to hang out.
              Unless you want to play for a living I don't see anything wrong with it.
              Just be sure you all expect the same from this project.
              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Honestly, this would be my ideal situation right now. I have little interest in actual gigging now - with my career and kids, I have no time available to make that work. Just jamming with good friends in a band, maybe playing a small party or such every once in a while? Would love to be doing that exact thing.

Comment

Man, that would be an ideal situation IMO. No pressure, no late night gigging, minimal equipment hauling....

Shredder beat me to it.

If they're better than you and friends they'll likely encourage and push you. Fastest way to get better is to play with other musicians., especially if they're better than you.

Do EEET!
                  Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Originally posted by ZL1hawk View Post
                    I have one hesitation. A few of those guys can really play, mainly the drummer, should I just throw myself into it?
                    Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
                    If they're better than you and friends they'll likely encourage and push you. Fastest way to get better is to play with other musicians., especially if they're better than you.
                    Fear of failure is no way to live your life. Give it a shot and you might be surprised by the outcome.

The only way to know is to try.

Comment

Well, I was in a band with friends, but I rather like "working" to be with colleagues
                      The trouble then was, we were a bunch of noobs 'trying' to make music
                      if one doesn't bother to practice at home (and always needed reminders on what to play), and 2 others more focused with other projects
                      the singer (the odd man out, he was recruited) afraid to share his lyrics
                      and only me trying to learn how to play and write songs to make something of it,...well you'll guess the end
                      (I'll be willing to admit it contributed to a heavy burnout I suffered in that period - it was another thing on the pile of "Putting in effort/Seeing no returns")
                      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I would have no issue 'playing for fun'. As long as you keep it as a fun thing and don't let it consume you. Sort of like poker night, watching the game, or having a beer with the guys. Your choice would just be playing songs.
                        Don't miss your kid's games for it. Don't waste too much gas money. Don't buy gear.

And for god sake, the band/job that makes money is the priority.

*but that is also sometimes the problem. If you aren't doing it for business, there is no reason to keep it serious and then people start to slack off. What's the payoff for all the time and effort.
                        Last edited by pianoguyy; 06-21-2014, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Well said fellas! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                            Honestly, this would be my ideal situation right now. I have little interest in actual gigging now - with my career and kids, I have no time available to make that work. Just jamming with good friends in a band, maybe playing a small party or such every once in a while? Would love to be doing that exact thing.
                            +1 Couldn't have said it better. Problem for me is that I'm 'new in town' and don't have any kind of musical history / old friends who I used to play with here. So that leaves craigslist. And well, you can imagine...
                            Popular is not the same as good
                            Rare is not the same as valuable
                            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by ZL1hawk View Post
                              Or is this just a waste of effort and time?
                              Since most bands eventually go nowhere... joining a band that isn't fun is a waste of time and effort.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X