Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great day at the range.

Lots of belt fed machine guns and full auto fun
    Gave my AK parts gun a good work out and it runs great.
    Installed a Timney 3 lb trigger in my AR 15 M4 with the slide fire stock and it was flawless all day.
    My guess is 1500 rounds went thru the AR because everyone wanted take it for a spin. The combination of the Timney trigger and slide fire stock is just amazing.Ran just as fast as a few of the full auto AR's there.
    Tried some steel cased ammo in the first mag and while it worked ok the last round didn't want to eject so it was brass the rest of the day.
    Hit a few tannerite charges with my M1A about 200 yards out so that was fun.
    Here were the group for the day.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by straycat; 05-24-2014, 11:00 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

The AK is a Romanian receiver with a Tapco G2 trigger and a set of Balkin War battlefield stock sets that have soldier art on them.
    A few blood stains here and there.
    Over all it has the looks I was going for.All parts have the Cugir arsenal stamps and dated 1973 so the parts are mil spec parts except for the trigger and muzzle brake.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by straycat; 05-24-2014, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Cool stuff! I've been wanting to get my self a nice pistol and start going to ranges.

Comment

I shoot at indoor ranges a lot pistol mostly and its a great stress reliever.
        I try to get as much time as I can on a pistol just to keep my chops up.
        Being able to get outdoors and let it rock and roll is way more fun.

Comment

I haven't been able to make it to the range yet this year. I've been spending too much spare time fishing. Cool pics. Is your AK a WASR 10-63? I'm totally digging the M1A too. An M1A is going to be my next major purchase.

Comment

I can imagine the outdoors being a bit more fun, I remember you posting machine guns and tanks lol.

Comment

The AK is a WASR 10/63 but has been routed to fit the std AK 30 round mags.
              I checked the thickness of the receiver and its 1.8 mils thick so thicker than the 1 mil ones you see most often.All parts are proof marked so old military parts were used.
              Barrel,trunion,front sight,bolt and bolt carrier are all Cigir arsenal marked.bolt carrier is dated 1973.
              Awesome shooting gun,I was banging steel target at 150-200 yards off the shoulder with ease.For a budget AK it does a fine job.
              Its not pretty but works fine.I was going for the look of an old well used gun.
              Having all the trench/soldier art on the stock set just makes it that much cooler looking.
              I had been looking for an M1A but never found one I could afford.The scout.squad model came up at a fair price so I grabbed it.
              Got six extra Checkmate mags and 200 rounds of 308 in the deal too.
              Finding that old E2 stock was a pretty awesome find and it makes the gun more comfy to shoot and stay on target.
              Last edited by straycat; 05-26-2014, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Cool, my AK is a WASR 10/63 too with a lot of Cugir parts too. Mine take the standard mags also. I've been real pleased with mine, and it has ran like a champ. It's a shame about all the trash that gets talked about WASR's, but I think they're a great value for the money.

Comment

I think there is a lot of snobbery in the AK ranks.
                  People buy online which is a mistake in the first place.Are there bad WASR's ? Sure but if you know what to look for in one they can be great guns.
                  There are guys that only own Arsenals and praise them but I have seen some bad arsenals too.
                  Mis aligned gas tubes,canted front sights just like some bad WASR's
                  Another 10 years when the WASR's can't be imported or supply runs out they will become revered and collected just like Norinco or PolyTech AK's are now.
                  Lots of AR owners are fan boys of a certain builder or company too.
                  At the shoot last Sat I had one guy come up and ask me about my AR and said how great in ran and he had never seen one not hiccup or jam.
                  He asked what parts I used.I told him STD Bushmaster M4 upper and ATI polymer lower,Timney 3 lb trigger and slide fire stock.
                  He said slide fire stocks sucked and didn't work and polymer lowers can't take sustained full auto fire.I asked him so you thought my gun was a full auto conversion class III at first?
                  He said yeah I did because it ran so good.
                  Told me he tried a buddies slide fire and couldn't get it to work so I handed him my gun and a mag and said here try it.
                  He about shit himself and said man this thing is amazing.
                  Last edited by straycat; 05-26-2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I have been using TW 25 B lube for years and when I broke the rifle down after all those rounds all I had to do was take a paper towel and wipe the carbon off the bolt and bolt carrier then a micro fiber cloth to get the small remaining residue.
                    Did clean the bore with Hoppe's#9 and it only took four or 5 passes and the bore was clean as a pin.
                    Ran a few patches with 91% alcohol to clean off the solvent, let dry and used TW 25 B grease down the barrel swabbed it to get the grease spread out.Done
                    Took about 20 mins.
                    I have friends that run their AR's wet and they always complain about cleaning it.
                    TW 25B is the best I have used.
                    Last edited by straycat; 05-26-2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I run SLIP 2000 in my AR's, and I really like it. I run my AR's wet as hell, but I never complain about cleaning them up. That's just part of the fun for me. I did buy an AR bolt cleaning tool, and it makes bolt cleaning a breeze too. It's the High Sierra Group CAT tool. Handy little dude, and well worth the money if you ask me.

Comment

I need to get that tool myself The TW 25 B does help a lot to keep the carbon off the bolt, I use a GI can opener to scrape what little bit of carbon that does stay there.
                        Comes off with very little effort.

Comment

Working...
                        X