Vintage Hi Fi gear buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Hi Fi gear buffs

Found a mid 70's S7100 Sherwood FM receiver today at Goodwill.
    Got the speakers with it as well.
    Sounds really good for its age.
    I was hoping it was tube driven but when I had it apart for cleaning it is SS.Cleaned the pots and tuner grid, next I will have to replace the light behind the station display.
    Not sure what speakers it has but I think JBL's were used on these during that time.
    May have to get a turntable and go vinyl again !!.
    Attached Files
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

I still have my Laffayete 20-20 from the late 70's. I love the weighted tuning dials the old units had. I also have an old panasonic am/fm, 8 track receiver. It sounds great compared to a lot of the new junk out there. I also have my JVC unit that I replaced the lafayette with in the 80,s. Its loud as hell but it has a slider volume switch that required cleaning all of the time and I could never find the right spot. It was either too loud or too soft. I still use my laffayette speakers with my current tv surround unit. Ive even got my dads old tube amp from his old hi-fi. Its a mono amp but it was always loud. I remember the smell of that thing when the tubes got going. Good times. LOL.

Comment

I have an old 1930's Coronado chair side tube radio. It works great too.
      I fixed all the scratches in the cabinet and it looks much better now.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by straycat; 04-28-2014, 01:12 AM.

Comment

i use some pioneer towers and I bought them in '89..Nice watching a movie with some 12".. nothing says power like some 12"'s

I really need to replace the mids and tweeters .. definitely showing their age.. woofers are perfectly fine after all these years though
        GEAR:
        #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
        #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
        #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
        #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
        #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
        AMPS:
        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
        ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

I just picked up a Harman/Kardon Twinpower receiver from the 70's. Its incredible. I just sold a Sansui 2000X receiver on Ebay 2 weeks ago. I got it for free and sold it for $185 on Ebay. Solid walnut cabinet. The build quality was amazing but even that wasn't close to thie Twinpower. Its literally a work of art inside.

Comment

Mission 770s (all original) for 200 were the best audio investment I ever made. They replaced Mission 732i -- Great cheap bookshelfs if anyone is looking -- Thinking about moving mine to the bedroom...

As far as power goes, I'm running a NAD, 80W/C w/ phono attachment -- Got an old late 70s Kenwood turntable with a Grado cartidge - sounds great. Not sure of the model, but it is nice in that the plinth is concrete.... Can sit it real close to the speakers.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

The manufactures were putting out great products in the 70's. I'm still blown away how good this unit sounds.
              I had a Pioneer set up back then and dropped big bucks on it so to find these for cheap($25.50) these days is pretty cool.

Comment

Back then, you didn't have as much power, but you had much more efficient speakers.

But power sells systems, so speakers became less efficient in order to deal with the higher and higher amp power levels.

I prefer my Dynaco low power tube amp with quality speakers.

Comment

Working...
                X