Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get your lead singer to stop smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All you can really do is express your concern and maybe open his eyes to all the reasons for quitting. The problem is, regardless of how much you care, how strong a case you make, how much better his voice will sound and how much better he will feel, a smoker is not going to quit until they are ready. I haven't smoked for almost 20 years, but back when I quit it took 8 tries. (I once quit for almost a year, then had a bad day and went back to it . . . how stupid was that?) The time that I was finally successful, I knew it was going to stick because my head was in the right place and I wanted to kick the habit.

I think it's virtually impossible to create the desire necessary for someone to quit smoking for good because it has to come from within that person. Outside forces didn't matter much to me, but work on him positively and patiently and maybe his day will come.

By the way . . . after 20 years I still remember my last Camel Red, where I was and how I smoked it. Smoking is a strong addiction.

Comment

nicotine is a s gripping as heroin. maybe more. the filter alone has over 107 chemicals in it that make them even more addicting. Philip morris and the
      others are the personification of evil. i haven't had a Marlboro red in over a year now. cold turkey after 35 years of smoking them. it's the only way.
      just drop it all. fuck the e-cigs too. why get chained to something else? there is no proof of that they do not some kind of damage as well. the juice that goes
      into them is the same stuff that goes into airconditioning from what I heard, but that's not 100% reliable info either.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I talked to him as a friend and not a bandmate this morning. His doctor called in a prescription for Chantix today. Thanks everybody!

Comment

A trick to share that worked for me . . .

The "association" times are hard. Like how he probably always has a cigarette after dinner, in the car on the way to work, at the last stoplight before work, first thing in the morning with coffee, during band practice breaks, etc. So I filled an empty pack of cigarettes with toothpicks and took one out whenever I had the urge. It gave me something to do that was similar to smoking, (there were no e-cigs back in my day), and helped with the "habit" part of quitting. I probably looked like a fool "puffing" on a toothpick, but it got me where I wanted to be.

Comment

that's cool jaxsnake I like that. I digress, fuck e-cigs...............

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/bu...ttes.html?_r=0
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
              Many " Pro" singers don't smoke, but end up not having the range they once had just because of age

Personally don't get the witchhunt on smoking, but hey, it's always nice to rub in peoples vices
              Age is part of it, and Ray Alder has said as he's gotten older his voice has changed, but the guy still smokes (and drinks), and that has definitely affected his voice. He still has a very pleasant voice, but he doesn't quite have the range he used to. I know he said he doesn't want to sound so high-pitched like he did in the '80s and early '90s, that a lot of singers back then were ridiculous, but I think quite a bit of his higher range has definitely gone away due to smoking.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ok. This hits home for me. I was an extremely happy smoker. Started very young and smoked loyally for all my adult life. I always said if you try and quit when you don't really want to with 100% or your heart, you will fail so I never tried. Then one day, I do not remember the date, but it was the day I went to see Megadeth, Slayer and Testament a few years back in Camden I got a call on my walk in from the parking lot from my best man and long time drummer. He called to tell me that he had stage 4 bone cancer. That day I pledged to him that we would quit together and that after that pack I was done. He never had the strength to quit, and quite honestly it was far too late for that to help anything, and he's been gone for a little over a year and I miss him every day. It's been a couple years since I put out that last cigarette but I have never taken 1 drag since. I want one every day....that NEVER fades, but I made a promise and I intend on keeping it. My range was never really impacted by smoking, but I did find singing 3 sets became a bit easier. It has everything to do with self strength and willpower that is extremely hard to muster. If not for something so drastic I probably would have never quit.

Whatever you do, if you like him and want to keep him as your vocallist do not make ultimatums. If he does stay there will always be some sort of resentment that can ruin the chemistry you have. Be supportive, offer help, but don't act like his mother. It is an addiction...a very powerful one. And to quote the great Ace Frehely "Have you ever told someone to use willpower when they have diarreah?" It's that tough.
                Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

It sounds stupid but it helps a lot to have something like a wooden dowel the same length as a cig. You can even make it look like a cig which helps...then when the urge gets bad put that wooden cig in your mouth. It sounds crazy but the tactile response habit is very strong as well.....This actually helps a lot, have your friend try it!!

Comment

Poke that Walther in his piehole and tell'm "smoke on this, it'll be faster!"
                    "POOP"

Comment

steal his smokes
                      take a photo of your drummer's ass with one of your singer's ciggies hanging out of it
                      print photo and insert into cigarette packet
                      return packet to singer's jacket pocket
                      wait...
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                      X