No announcement yet.

Sad news.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago my buddies and I were soundproofing a garage to practice in so we were hitting up places looking for carpet being thrown out. We saw a huge carpet rolled up behind a strip center where a local club was and went to grab it. As we were about to grab hold of it a guy comes running out of the back of the club and yells "Don't touch that, it's the GWAR carpet from last night!"

LOL, thank god for that guy. I hate to think about what it would have been like if we actually took it back to the house.
    My Toys:
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
    '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
    '94 Dinky HX in Black
    '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Oh, is that why it tasted so good?!?
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Steel City Psycho View Post
        This sucks, because GWAR is just not Gwar without Dave...another band gone forever...just like Type O and PanterA...and me personally I think Slayer should call it quits, Jeff wrote the best songs and I've seen them live a few times with Gary and it just does not sound the same...
        I recently saw Slayer... and I have to say that's one of the best Slayer shows I'd seen in over a decade. I gave up on them because their shows were becoming stagnant and lifeless... I've seen them at least 20 times since Haunting the Chapel was released.

As for writing music, Slayer has been done for at least a decade. They're much better when they stick to the old material. They played almost all of Hell Awaits, some of Haunting the Chapel, some of Show No Mercy and almost all of Reign in Blood. A couple from South of Heaven... and I think Dead Skin Mask...

It was awesome hearing them cover Exodus Strike of the Beast... and honestly, I don't think they could have picked a better guitarist than Gary Holt to fill in Jeff's slot. With all their history, I think he's the one guy who can make it work.

The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
          I recently saw Slayer... and I have to say that's one of the best Slayer shows I'd seen in over a decade. I gave up on them because their shows were becoming stagnant and lifeless... I've seen them at least 20 times since Haunting the Chapel was released.

As for writing music, Slayer has been done for at least a decade. They're much better when they stick to the old material. They played almost all of Hell Awaits, some of Haunting the Chapel, some of Show No Mercy and almost all of Reign in Blood. A couple from South of Heaven... and I think Dead Skin Mask...

It was awesome hearing them cover Exodus Strike of the Beast... and honestly, I don't think they could have picked a better guitarist than Gary Holt to fill in Jeff's slot. With all their history, I think he's the one guy who can make it work.

I have seen them around 15 times and 3-4 times of those were with Gary. I'm not knocking him by any means, but to me it's just not the same.

I agree with the writing, I love God Hates Us All, but I am not a fan of Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood was alright, but there are some recycled riffs that annoy me, like in Unit 731.

I don't agree about the live show though, I have pretty much seen them once a year for the last 15 years or so except for 2013. I saw them in D.C., Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philly, Camden. First time I saw them was at the 9:30 Club in D.C., saw them on the Tattoo the Earth Tour in 2000, saw them right after 9-11 and they had their amps and stage covered in the stars and stripes it was very cool and I never expected them to be so Patriotic, saw them in '03 when they played the whole Reign album which was amazing, seen them at a bunch of Ozzfests and Mayhem Fests, was at the Big 4 at Yankee Stadium. Last time I saw Jeff live was when they toured with Megadeth and played Seasons while Megadeth played RIP. They really are one of the few bands I can say have never disappointed me live, they play the songs they have to, but they always pulled out a song or two that made you go "Holy shit, I never expected to hear that!!!" With Jeff dying and the whole fiasco with Dave, I guess for me it's just not Slayer anymore.

I feel that way about other bands too though. For instance Slipknot, with Paul dying and Joey leaving, I'm not even sure I want to check out the new material when it comes out.
          I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Oh, I'm not saying it's the same. For me it hasn't been the same for a good while. Something just got kinda stale... maybe just because they pretty much stopped playing their old stuff for a while and got too Warped or Vans Tourist for me. Too many songs to pick from, not enough songs you actually want to hear.

I was just saying that the only guitarist I think could have pulled it off was Gary, mostly cause of Kerry and Gary's history, and Slayer and Exodus as well.. they played a lot of shows together. He makes it not feel like some poser is coming in just to fill Jeff's spot... they all knew each other for a long time, supported each other at shows... you'd always see them at each other's shows back in the early days and Exodus is Bay Area history.

Playing only the old stuff, it was all the songs I wanted to hear and not their last two full albums with only a song or two from the early days. Too many bands play all their cliche' hits you can get from one of their "best of" albums and not the stuff I'd want to hear. Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Scorpions, etc...

The old-school set list for Slayer was just how I wanted to see them and hadn't for a long time. I just wish they played a few more songs off Bonded by Blood. lol

Oh and I don't want to go totally off topic, but RIP Dave.... I saw gwar twice when I was younger... I didn't particularly care for their music, but their shows were awesome. Not too many bands with that level of... showmanship. lol
            Last edited by xenophobe; 03-27-2014, 01:39 AM.
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I get what you're saying. Like when Zakk left Ozzy's band and Ozz got Gus G. I was like "Who the fuck is that?" and I'm still not a fan of the guy.

I can honestly say the 1 st time I saw Metallica was like that. They played so many damn Load songs, I was so pissed off, but now they never play that much stuff from their shitty albums, they know why everyone is there. Maiden unfortunately is that way too, they always play too many new songs. I've seen Priest a few times and their set list was actually really good, played the stuff I wanted to hear like Green Manalishi and Painkiller.

Sadly back on topic that is why I haven't seen GWAR in years, their shows were based on the new album. Last time I saw them they played 2 songs I actually knew. The first time was the best though, they played a shitload from Hell-O and Scumdogs. I remember they played Pure As The Arctic Snow and had snow machines blowing snow into the crowd...I was only 19, now I'm old and Dave's dead
              I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Sad news indeed! Saw GWAR jam live on many occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                  I had Gwar at the bar somewhere back around '94-'96. I paid them too much. Not because it wasn't a good night, but because the clean up after the show cost a lot.
                  There used to be a club in Oakland called The Omni - so one night i'm at a party and one of the guests shows up real late looking like he'd been in a car accident, he had just come from the Gwar show at the Omni. Following weekend I'm at the Omni and there's fake blood on the friggen ceiling and it's stained and the were stained they painted the inside a couple weeks later (might have been months but not too long after) Not sure if they had planned to paint and they said "fuck it, do your worst" or they did their worst and the place needed to be painted. either way I'm sorry I missed that show.
                  In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by ZL1hawk View Post
                    Sad news indeed! Saw GWAR jam live on many occasions.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X