Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stripping cabinets of covering need ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping cabinets of covering need ideas.

I have a couple EV loudspeakers with carpet/fur type covering that needs to come off. The glue is still in good shape and pulls apart hard. Any ideas on how to soften the glue, to ease removal? Thanks.
    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

That's the devil's own job, once you start, you wonder why the hell you thought it would be a good idea, it really takes a lot of time and effort.
    Never found anything to soften the glue, but once the covering is off the cabinet, run a blowtorch over it to crisp the glue residue. You can go at it with a chisel (gently) then and it will lift off nicely.

When you have re-covered them, you'll forget all the effort and cursing and foolishly start another pair...rinse and repeat.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Just started this ridiculous project myself 2 nights ago with a 1960 A and B cab. Fortunately for me the covering came off in one pull with really minimal effort. Now its just prepping the surface and retolexing. For your question, I could have sworn I ran across that somewhere in my information gathering. I will look again. I do think I've read that sometimes its just a bitch like Rsmacker said, and you have to battle through it piece by piece.
      Last edited by veemagic; 02-21-2014, 12:05 AM.
      "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I wish I didn't have to do the job to begin with. They were in my singers garage where his wife kept a bunch of cats, crazy cat lady, straight up. They pissed/sprayed all over them and they smell so bad it makes a guy sick. I'm going to recover them with truck bed liner. Thanks for the help.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I would try a little acetone or xylene. Let it soak through the fabric and it should loosen up the glue. Goof Off is pretty much a mixture of the 2 and should work as well. Just don't smoke while you're doing it.

Comment

Why can't you just sand it? If the glue is hard and not gooey, thats what I would do. I'd try it even if the glue was gooey, it may work out.

Comment

petrol & match................sorted.
              yeah it was me, you got a problem with that?

Comment

Here's the secret: use a heavy utility knife to cut the covering into 2 inch strips BEFORE you remove it. The knife won't hurt the wood underneath, and the covering will be 100 times easier to pull off in strips.

Once the covering is off, you should be able to use acetone or xylene to dissolve the glue and scrape it off.

PS. didn't read that you'd already got the covering off. LOL
                Last edited by zeegler; 02-21-2014, 12:05 AM.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Thanks zeegler, after rereading my OP it does kind of suggest that I was down to the glue. That is not the case, I'm going to try the strips. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                    Thanks zeegler, after rereading my OP it does kind of suggest that I was down to the glue. That is not the case, I'm going to try the strips. Cool.
                    Hope it makes it a little easier for you.

Comment

zeegler, thank you!!! That made it so super easy.

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                        zeegler, thank you!!! That made it so super easy.
                        Glad to help out bro!!

Comment

Hey Zeegler, do you have any suggestions on putting the tolex back down? Adhesive advice, or laying out the material? I am at that stage and a bit nervous since I don't really want to order more white elephant grain and have to wait another 5 weeks for it if I screw up!
                          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                            Hey Zeegler, do you have any suggestions on putting the tolex back down? Adhesive advice, or laying out the material? I am at that stage and a bit nervous since I don't really want to order more white elephant grain and have to wait another 5 weeks for it if I screw up!
                            Sure. I've done a whole bunch of heads and a few cabs, so I've made the mistakes and figured out what not to do.

Any specific questions, or do you just want sort of a tutorial?

Comment

How much time do you have? Seriously, any help or advice your willing to share is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to screw these cabs up and start over again. I was going to try using the pieces I pulled off as a template. Good idea or not worth the hassle?

Comment

Working...
                              X