Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
    Amen Tommy!
    To this day, there is still no better front man than DLR. Love him or hate him, he's got the swagger and attitude that can't be beat.
    that's right pal!! the whole dynamic of the band changed when they split up. this band when they first came out was ridiculous. they were a great guide for me at 13 years old on how to be cool after a steady diet of led zeppelin, kiss, aerosmith, deep purple, bowie, etc. before them. Americas finest hard rock issue by far. who's better? nobody.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
      no, this is why EVH ruled. this was their best tour, apex and peak of the band. they started to decline after fair warning in my opinion. it's pretty impossible to best those first 4 albums, perfection is not an accident, nor can it be improved upon, there's nowhere else to go but down after a phenomenon like that.................. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlZlOnLIelE

Ex-fucking-zactly Thomas!!

Comment

I love Eddy but that song and all the meedley meedley dribble guitar work was painful to listen too. Talk about no creativity. There was absolutely no thought or effort put into that one.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          I love Eddy but that song and all the meedley meedley dribble guitar work was painful to listen too. Talk about no creativity. There was absolutely no thought or effort put into that one.
          I wouldn't say it was painful, but it was pretty basic. He was just sort of vamping the same chord progression for most of the song. It was cool for what it was: background music. Nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
            Amen Tommy!
            To this day, there is still no better front man than DLR. Love him or hate him, he's got the swagger and attitude that can't be beat.
            +1 I've Never been a fan of Hagar with Van Halen or as some people put it Van Hagar. Let's not mention the Gary Cherone incident. I am still trying to erase that pile of mastodon dung from my memory bank. Not that Gary is a bad singer he just doesn't fit in VH.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

It's not his best work by any means but I don't think it was that bad.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                Ed's not overly fond of Diver Down. He didn't like the number of cover songs. I was never a super fan of him but he's very underrated for his rhythm groove. I think he's at as best when rocking a fast boogie. (ie Loss of Control, Hot For Teacher, Sinners Swing) You can tell he grew up listening to a lot of swing style music.
                Ed is one hell of a Rhythm player. There is an interview with Joe Satriani where he praises Eddie as "the best right hand in the business". That is a big statement from a guy like Joe. All of Ed's Rhythm and Lead work has a certain swing to it. It has life...

Comment

I used to think that Eddy was better than me on the guitar. Not anymore and we are pretty much the same age and have been playing for the same amount of time.
                  If we were both on stage improvising over a guitar track and nobody knew who we were I would smoke him. Word.

He hasn't done anything new or innovative nor has he gotten any better over the last 20 years at least.
                  I guess he was at his peak in the late 80's. I haven't hit mine yet. I just keep getting better and better.

Wow... that's some heavy shit I just said. What an ass am I.

Comment

what eddie has over everyone else is his wellspring of writing, personally, I like the original van halen, but his stockpile of riffs is pretty fuckin' ridiculous when you look at the whole catalogue.
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

^+1

Ed is indeed a virtuoso and great soloist. But what really sets him apart is his songwriting & rhythm playing IMO.

Comment

I used to think that Eddy was better than me on the guitar. Not anymore and we are pretty much the same age and have been playing for the same amount of time.
                        If we were both on stage improvising over a guitar track and nobody knew who we were I would smoke him. Word.

He hasn't done anything new or innovative nor has he gotten any better over the last 20 years at least.
                        I guess he was at his peak in the late 80's. I haven't hit mine yet. I just keep getting better and better.

Wow... that's some heavy shit I just said. What an ass am I.
                        You definitely don't suffer from a lack of confidence that's for sure. Most people don't have the balls to say something like that but I say kudos to you for doing so sir. I have a Masters degree in Music and I wouldn't say what you just did. In all honesty I love his playing because he was so different from everyone else back then and his style was just so influential to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                          ^+1

Ed is indeed a virtuoso and great soloist. But what really sets him apart is his songwriting & rhythm playing IMO.
                          +2

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                            You definitely don't suffer from a lack of confidence that's for sure. Most people don't have the balls to say something like that but I say kudos to you for doing so sir. I have a Masters degree in Music and I wouldn't say what you just did. In all honesty I love his playing because he was so different from everyone else back then and his style was just so influential to me.
                            Yea I need to stop drinking!!!!

Comment

Yea I need to stop drinking!!!!
                              +1 I do a good bit of drunk typing and boasting as well.

Comment

DLR era van halen was the stuff. Well sans Eruption. If I never have to hear that guitar masturbation again I will be fine. God I never ever want to hear it again walking into guitar center. Stop trying to play it people. Egads

Saying EVH isn't good or influential well I don't know anyone who would say that. Kinda like saying Michael Jordan wasn't good at basketball. I don't think there is anyone out there that doesn't respect EVH.
                                I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                                So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Working...
                                X