Pawn Shops (sigh) - Take 37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pawn Shops (sigh) - Take 37

My boys' schools were closed today because of the record cold weather. But the roads were fine, so since I've been so stir crazy lately, we went around to a few pawn shops this afternoon. One had a DK2 in Crimson Swirl behind the counter. I couldn't quite make out the price so I asked. I was told:

(brace yourselves)

$699.00

No, that's not a typo. I wish it was. I told her that it should be more like $350.00-ish. She said, "We base our pricing off the Internet."

I should have asked what site, because I checked the "Sold" E-Bay listings when I got home and the highest sold price I could find on ANY DK2 was $550.00.

What the hell is up with pawn shops these days?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Just like I said in the "Jem thread" you started most of them are pure shysters. Very unscrupulous people.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      My boys' schools were closed today because of the record cold weather. But the roads were fine, so since I've been so stir crazy lately, we went around to a few pawn shops this afternoon. One had a DK2 in Crimson Swirl behind the counter. I couldn't quite make out the price so I asked. I was told:

(brace yourselves)

$699.00

No, that's not a typo. I wish it was. I told her that it should be more like $350.00-ish. She said, "We base our pricing off the Internet."

I should have asked what site, because I checked the "Sold" E-Bay listings when I got home and the highest sold price I could find on ANY DK2 was $550.00.

damn.. that is high.. 699 IMO is almost the price the guitar would be new...I bought my beloved DK2 in 2010 at a pawnshop and paid $270 but it had no case and I had to buy some nut blocks and a trem arm.. So it was around $350 I guess.. I thought it was a fair price then .. still do

no way in hell will I drop 700 on a guitar at a pawnshop..UNLESS it was "interesting" and a good deal
      GEAR:
      #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
      #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
      #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
      #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
      #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
      AMPS:
      1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
      ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

(brace yourselves)

$699.00

Reply to the person with your best Rick from Pawn Stars, "What people on the internet are ASKING is not what they sell for." They can ask all they want, it's buyer beware. If some chud walks in and pays it, it's on them. But at 699 I wouldn't expect any informed buyers looking to snap it up anytime soon.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I might add that I did a stupid thing about three weeks ago. There was a pawn shop in a nearby town with a DK2 in the blue and yellow flames. It needed a setup, but they were asking $299.00. I should have grabbed it, but I was on an Ibanez kick at the time and they also insulted me on my trades. I took in a Mexican Strat in H-S-S and a cheapie Epiphone SG. They offered $50.00 for both. I was pissed so I walked, but I should have still bought the DK2. It was gone as of Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Reply to the person with your best Rick from Pawn Stars, "What people on the internet are ASKING is not what they sell for." They can ask all they want, it's buyer beware. If some chud walks in and pays it, it's on them. But at 699 I wouldn't expect any informed buyers looking to snap it up anytime soon.
            Yeah. Anyone who has a clue about Jackson knows that it should be around $350.00 tops.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandenburg View Post
              699 IMO is almost the price the guitar would be new...
              Really? I thought they retailed new for about $599.00-ish with a graphic.

Comment

Really? I thought they retailed new for about $599.00-ish with a graphic.
                The pro series are in the $850.00 $899.00 price range.
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

The highest price I ever saw a new DK2 of any type go for excluding the DK2S is $799 Canuckbucks.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                    The pro series are in the $850.00 $899.00 price range.
                    This isn't a Pro Series. It's a "standard" DK2 from a few years ago. It has sharkies and the JT580 trem.

Comment

Isn't it a JT580LP?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Isn't it a JT580LP?
                        Yeah, that's what I meant. I left off the "LP" part.

Comment

Here locally I don't find shit in pawn shops any more. Just squires, the low-end Ibanez Gio's, and pretty much every other starter guitar imaginable. Here they're not the gold mine for guitars like they used to be. The last decent guitar I saw in one was probably five years ago with a LP standard that had the back end trashed by some redneck's buckle

Comment

They go up online, find the highest price they can and that's what its priced at. My local pawn shop had a 15 year old Zoom guitar processor pedal that sells all day long on Ebay for around $100.00. They had it listed for $499.00

They also had a line 6 PODXT Live new in the box for $399.00 I am sure they paid $50.00 each for them.

Comment

Their prices get more retarded every day. The market isn't totally dried up here but it's getting there. I bought my Snow White SL2H here in 2008, and I also picked up a Fender HM Strat about three years ago (since traded). Aside from that, it's been almost worthless.

I've also noticed that the personnel in the pawn shops seem to be getting more sleazy and mean looking. I can't explain it; they just have that "I'm a dirtbag" look about them.

Comment

Working...
                              X