Simmons SD1000 5 piece kits ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simmons SD1000 5 piece kits ....

Ok, so I got 1 of these tonight.... So far I'm a 'little' disappointed, one of the crash's doesn't work(straight out of the box.). There's sensitivity issues with the hi hat foot controller, I might can fix that through the parameters. Have any of you guys had/used one of these kits before? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Suggestions?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

My understanding is that particular hi hat is 3 step; closed, half open and open, correct? My Roland TD-9 has about 20 steps of dynamics between open and closed and its still the worst part of the kit. Is there something specific about the hi hat sensitivity?
    Last edited by Mudlark; 01-04-2014, 11:21 AM.
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yeah, I think it's 3 position. 2 things are bugging me about it right now. On a regular hi hat depending on how far apart you have the hats the stroke length of the pedal from open to closed can be adjusted to make it respond how you like(where right now, I have to bottom out the expression pedal). The second thing is that the response time of opening the hats is off(I'm sure there's a parameter in the brain that can help with this, I just need to find it).

I spent a good few hours playing around with them last night, and am feeling a little better with/about them. The biggest problem I'm having right now is with the replacement ride, getting crosstalk from vibrations.

Comment

I understand how the pedal could be a problem as it can mess with your technique and balance. Seems like
        some time with the parameters may be the cure for the rest.
        If the ride crosstalk cant be fixed with parameters you may need an actual cymbal stand with legs. Its a bit of work, but, if the rack tubes are hollow stuff them with t-shirts, towels or whatever and that may help cut vibration. It made a very noticeable difference in taming the 'cymbal-rattle' when hammering the toms on my acoustic set, which is mounted on a 3 sided rack. Good luck.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Mudlark, yeah the rack is hollow tubing. I'll try the t shirt/stuffing idea out!! Thanks

Comment

how do they sound?
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

They are reasonable sounding for an affordable entry level kit.

The controller module is chock full of different drum sounds and just other eccentric sounds, I spent probably an hour just fooling with some of the patches(there may have been alcohol involved at that point). Off the top of my head I forget how many pre defined kits it has, there's also on board storage for (I think)32 user defined kits). The range of drum sounds goes from very workable metal to classical percussion sounds.

Give me a few weekends and I'll try to get a decent sound bite to share, I can really only play every other weekend right now...

Comment

Cool. I don't play drums but I'm interested on electronic drums for recording vs. drum software. I'm not really a drummer but I can probably have better luck playing vs working with drum software which is frustrating for me.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                X