Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So had amazing news and then this happen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So had amazing news and then this happen.

So the last few months have been dark, mom passed away a year ago August and my brother died two days before my birthday in sept this year. This post isn't about that but it plays a role in what has happen since.

So the contract I had earlier in the year ended in June and I've been out of work since then, I just landed a job in SF which means an hour and fifteen minute commute to Pleasanton and then an hour BART train ride into the city this sounds like a lot but for the money I'm making it's absolutely no issue.

Got through the "Training" which was basically a week long overview of the product and was scheduled to start working/training in the engineering department on Monday. So far love the place btw.

I get into my SUV and I get on I-5 and for those familiar with the gas up town called Westley that's where the trouble started. I heard a rattle, nothing exciting, I figured since i had checked my air filter tires and oil the day before that i probably didn't get the air filter cover on good and it was rattling wasn't concerned plus i just past Westley and split to Tracy / Livermore was in front of me with nowhere to pull over.

about two minutes later the sound came from my engine.

Imagine if you will a bag full of sledge hammers suddenly becoming sentient and pissed off and slamming around like killer bees inside a metal tube... yeah something broke inside my engine and started bashing around inside of it.

When I finally got towed to a garage they looked at it and stated the engine was a total loss and that it would be 6k to replace.

Not going to happen.

so anyway if you're interested in what a very broken engine sounds like here's a link to a video i took while finally getting it from my curb and into my drive way.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sge_3A8yoc

now where this is a problem is i'm renting a car now, can afford it not a problem, but i had my eye on a couple guitar oriented things so those will have to wait.

Now two years ago this would have absolutely wrecked me, i'd be angry stressed whatever. after all the real life things i dealt with with family passing away, this just doesn't add up to anything to stress about. water off my back. inconvenient but life goes on.

As for the job it's friggen amazing, I'm totally enamored with the job and the company. It's nice to be able to say that.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

sorry , that sounds bad , camshaft , or rods ? i dont know but man it may be salvagable ? maybe a new engine can be found ? at a decent price ? best wish's, see ya , alz / 2013

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your loved ones bro. It's always a tough thing to go through. Also sorry about your ride man. When car shit breaks it's always a major pain in the ass. Good luck with your new job though man it sounds like a nice fresh start for you and a great opportunity. Keep your head up bro!
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that dark times for you bro but like you said this would have wrecked you in the PAST. When shit like this happens to me I try to look at my life as whole and 9 times out of 10 I can look at it and say if this is the worst thing that happens to me today then I'm a damn lucky man. Having plans to buy guitar stuff and then having to use the money on other things is but a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

Congrats on the new job and keep on rockin!!!
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Great outlook...that's a lot to go through losing your Mom and Brother so soon, it really puts life into perspective as you've mentioned. Sooty for your loss, I lost my father suddenly 4 years ago, my Moms still not the same, but you do really realize what's important and worth stressing over.
          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
          RIP Dime

Comment

I absolutely f-n love this new job and I'm getting high marks from management so it looks like i'm here for a while Yeah losing mom was rough because i had been taking care of her since my dad died through all her fights with cancer. Ron died from live failure he had hep C and b(?) that he got from sharing needles back in the late 60's. My other brother killed himself in 2009, he never got Vietnam behind him.

It looks depressing and it is but in the end life is beautiful. as much of a chore the drive is I look forward to the job every day.

I've been smiling lately but don't let me friend know they'd die of shock.

Comment

Amazing attitude with all you've been through. Sorry for all your pain, but karma works strange and maybe now is your time for good things to happen. Congrats on the new job, and keep that positive energy flowing!
              "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

congrats on the job. regarding the noise. sounds like a broken rocker arm or one of your lifters leaked down and isn't pumping up. Definitely sounds like upper engine (head) noise and not lower end (block) noise. Regarding the repair... no way is it $6000.00. You could get a remanufactured motor for that SUV installed for about $3500 any day of the week but I don't think you need your motor replaced. I think you need the upper end of the motor repaired. My guess judging by the noise I heard on the video.... $2000 tops.

GET A SECOND OPINION.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  congrats on the job. regarding the noise. sounds like a broken rocker arm or one of your lifters leaked down and isn't pumping up. Definitely sounds like upper engine (head) noise and not lower end (block) noise. Regarding the repair... no way is it $6000.00. You could get a remanufactured motor for that SUV installed for about $3500 any day of the week but I don't think you need your motor replaced. I think you need the upper end of the motor repaired. My guess judging by the noise I heard on the video.... $2000 tops.

GET A SECOND OPINION.
                  +1 My brother bought an old Corvette and restored it then put a brand new LT1 in it. The crate engine cost him just shy of 3K brand spanking new.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

That doesn't sound like a bottom end problem, as JG said, sounds valvetrain related. I would take it to another mechanic for a second opinion. And theres no reason that an R&R on that motor would be 6k. Could probably get a used one for around 1k plus 6-800 to put it in!
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have a local guy I'm going to have take a look at it, he said anywhere from 1400 to 3500 depending on availability of parts so something to work on in the new year

Comment

Congrats on the job man. I am glad things are going better for you. what kind of stuff were you looking at picking up guitar wise?
                        Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Well first thing I was thinking about getting was a Mesa Trip rec, probably a replacement for the King V I sold, but actually since i got the job I'm kind of looking at more mundane things like a new fridge and new dish washer... having the house painted. I'm still wanting to order a King V or a WR1 form the customer selects but I dunno, I'm starting to think maybe just sell my equipment and find something new to explore. Kind of debating trying to see the LTD again for a down payment on a new car, will see. New year and new ambitions. In any ever 2014 is going to be awesome

Comment

Get a second opinion. Had a harmonic balancer go on a Pontiac Bonneville once. Sounded horrible and similar. $20 fix. May be false hope, but hey, never hurts to try.
                            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

I had a 1983 Pontiac Starfire GT that made a similar noise. From the factory. Every one made that year had the same problem. For some reason, the bottom of the engine wasn't scooped out to allow the crank shaft smooth travel, so it banged against the casing. Neighbor-cop came over to make sure we weren't firing .50-cals in the front yard

At any rate, after losing my mom in 07, there's really nothing so far that I can consider to be a downer of equal proportions, so I can definitely see where you're at on that one. I can only imagine how much that's compounded by the loss of 2 brothers. When everything's falling apart around you, you've always got the "yeah, but I been through worse" to look at, which makes any current crisis pale in comparison.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X