Urgent advice needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent advice needed...

I value all the wisdom of my JCF bro's so I need advice.
    My band has a huge gig tomorrow night. We have been advertising it for a while. Its going to be epic.
    2 bands. We are advertising it as the ultimate rock/metal party. We are split billing with another local band and we are supplying the PA system so my decision effects that band too.
    The gig is in Stratford, CT. 20 minutes from Sandy Hook where today.. 20 5 year olds and 7 adults were killed by a crazy gunman at the Sandy Hook elementary school. Its the most tragic thing ever to happen to Connecticut. I have seen on Facebook that some local bars and clubs have cancelled their events for this weekend.
    I emailed my bandmates and told them I think we should cancel the show (so far the bar is not cancelling anything).
    I just feel its in extremely poor taste to do a metal show the day after something like this occured. Any thoughts are appreciated. John G

It in my mind is a double edge. In one way it promotes healing and a sense of normalcy in a time of extreme turmoil. I hate to say it but if it were mellower music id say dont cancel. But I think in THIS INSTANCE your instincts are correct....option 2 and I know this may not be popular...perhaps talk to the promoter and venue and try to make it a charity event. Something to think about?
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I would go with my gut feeling and cancel it

Supply the PA if needed out of courtesy though

if the promoter acts like an ass, fuck em!
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I would leave that up to the club to decide. In all honesty, being so close to where this shooting occurred you may not have a good turn out anyway.
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I agree with Coloradoman, and if the show does go on, maybe consider the opportunity to collect donations to contribite to the needs of the Sandy Hook community...
          Bon Jovi is like a frozen Coca Cola.. It's cool, it's crunchy, but when all is said and done it is still pop....

Comment

I would go ahead and do it....you could turn it into a charity fundraiser for the families. Just a thought.
            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Yup, I was going to suggest "On with the show" and use it as a way to raise money for the families affected by the events that happened today.

BTW, what's your band's name and who are you playing with? Where are you playing (I can only imagine The Frog Pond!)? I wonder if we know anyone in common around Milford (although I think you're a little older than I).

Comment

Bro, I say this from the heart having just lost our drummer. Now while it wasn't a tragedy of this magnitude it hit us and all that knew him very hard. We had this very same debate and decided to NOT cancel our show. The people who attended knew and loved him and were very appreciative that we still played on even though at times every one of us were in tears. You can't underestimate the healing power to others of your persistence to carry on. Dedicate the show to their memory and play harder than you ever have before. In the end I know none of you will regret doing the show.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

You should do the show. Maybe a few people won't show up because of what happened, but those that do will appreciate it and would probably like to think about something else for a night.

After all, isn't that part of what music provides? ...an escape from the troubles of life....

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                    You should do the show. Maybe a few people won't show up because of what happened, but those that do will appreciate it and would probably like to think about something else for a night.

After all, isn't that part of what music provides? ...an escape from the troubles of life....
                    I think the same, and as mentioned, see if the event can be tied in to charity somehow.
                    See how the rest of the band feels about it.
                    This is so tragic it's hard to think about...but unavoidable.
                    Somehow I think there's more to the story than what we are hearing.
                    Nothing can make it better...but who knows.

Comment

I am against cancelling shows and entertainment due to tragedy, as some people will need the release of a show to feel better. I would go ahead with the show and donate the proceeds to the families of the victims.
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

We are doing the show. The club isn't cancelling anything and it seems that everybody still wants to go out to forget about things.
                        I thought the exact opposite would happen.

Comment

Good to hear it J.
                          Tough to escape anything (nor should be "escaped"), but good to move forward, too.

Comment

I hope the show went well, I was waiting to comment on any of these threads and regret missing my chance on the other thread. Sometimes the best thing to do, is to carry on. In the face of this senseless tragedy people need to find a sense of normalcy and an outlet to temporarily forget(or find escape). Nothing except time will help to heal the wounds of the community and the people, I refuse to politicize any of this. An extreme horror to befall an unsuspecting community.

I for one, think playing the show is/was the right thing to do.
                            Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I think it would be best to drop the cover version of "Shoot Shoot".
                              So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
                              X