Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a possible explanation to the "made in..." questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a possible explanation to the "made in..." questions?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/bu...general&src=me

i found this to be an interesting read. it certainly could explain a little bit...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

I've never thought that Made In ..... was a good label in the first place. I can't help it but read Made In "Some western country".... by cheap starving immigrant labour.

Some countries use Product of ..... (insert country's name and write it in its language). Semantically different context. It gives you a sense that whatever you are buying is a product of some cultural space and tradition not that it's just made there.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      i found this to be an interesting read. it certainly could explain a little bit...
      Of course it is. Just look at FMIC's financials they released last year because of their desire to go public.

Fender Corporate is too big. They eat all the profits. So profit margins on guitars needed to be much higher just to break even, which they didn't.

Instead of cutting corporate jobs, they've decided to hike the price and lower the manufacturing costs.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't think they needed to cut corporate jobs, just corporate pay (and do it without cutting worker pay).

I mean, yeah it's great to have a 6-figure income, when the national economy can sustain it. If you've got 10% unemployment in a nation, it's time to start cutting pay at the higher levels of business and put that money into job-creation, because the few at the top can sustain the hit. The Working Man cannot take a 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50% pay cut. Top Level Execs can, and still maintain a respectable standard of living. Might not get the BMW, but you can make do with a Chevy, or Honda.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I love how they had to throw this bit in about Guitar Center:

"It’s controlled by Bain Capital, Mitt Romney’s old firm."

Comment

Thats what happens when you charge $2K for the same guitar you have been building for over 50 years.....in fact, you have figured out how to do it cheaper than ever before.-Lou
            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
              Thats what happens when you charge $2K for the same guitar you have been building for over 50 years.....in fact, you have figured out how to do it cheaper than ever before.-Lou
              Lou, these are facts !!!

Oh, If Kitten Mittens' firm owned anything ..it's probably "Made In Kolob"...or somewhere on Kolob.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
              X