Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build - Nuno N4 Inspired

Hey all,

I just finished a new build and I thought I would share. My inspiration for the build was the N4 Nuno Bettencourt Signature model from Washburn. I choose Padauk wood with Tung Oil finish for the look and the tone. The pickups are a Bill Lawrence and SD 59. I was going for a more modern style by extending the lower heel and shortening the upper area around the arm rest. The body cuts are fairly aggressive and I used ferrules at attach the neck. The neck is purchased form Musikraft (BE Maple Neck with Ebony Board, 12 - 16 radius with Jumbo frets). I would love to try building a neck, but I fear I am still a bit ill equipped in the skill, knowledge and tools area to take on a complex neck. I created the veneer and mounted the padauk on the headstock to achieve the overall look I was going for. Plays and feels great. My only issue is that I am not in love with the Bill Lawrence pickup. Just not my thing, I find it mays my tube amps sound a little thin? May be it would sound better with a high gain solid state amp but again, not my thing. I already dropped in a JB I had laying around I like it way better. I am going to research and explore a few difference pick up options. So far I am considering a set of Evolutions, some Bare Knuckles or a set of Surh's. If you have any suggestions for the pick ups or any comments please share.

Radiohead

Last edited by Radiohead; 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM.

looks good, man.

Didn't go the push/pull pot & toggle like the Nuno?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Had a badass, rare (at that time) black N4 and loved that ax. However, I eventually sold it because it had only 22 frets. Yours goes the full 24. Bravo! Nice job!

Comment

Thanks for the Props.

I debated putting a 3 way on the lower horn, but I finally decided it would get in the way. I have started using the EVH Bourns pots and really like them, so I stuck a 5 way mega switch in there for coil tapping instead of a push/pull. I am of course also partial to Jackson's so the body shape is kind of a modified dinky shape. I am loving the neck. It's super shred and Musikraft did an exceptional job as always.

The tone is so much better with the JB IMO. Anyway, if someone wants a slightly used Bill Lawrence just PM me.

Comment

Love that! Turned out great! Like it better than Nunos. Brass Block too, nice.
          Stoked to see yours as the body shape is similar to what i am hoping to build here by this summer.

Not to exciting but i just like a basic strat style guitar with a bit of an offset like that of some of my favorites
          from the 80's, Hamer, Washburn, Aria Pro, ect. I am a sucker for pickguards too, i just like the look.
          I'm boring, i like black, black guitars, black cars, black cloths, black walls, black windows, lol.
          A guitar could have the finest AAAA flame whatever, and it's cool and all to look at,... if it's for someone else... but i honestly just want black, lol.
          Plus, i don't really want something so ornate that i don't want to touch it, lol. Just a player to last me a long time, the guitar i've never been able to buy anywhere.

Going to have to build the neck as well ( yeah that part is a little nerve wracking ), but i want to shape the neck by my own hand so it's exactly what i'm after.
          Painting it i'm more nervous about.
          The main thing different about it that i can't find anywhere off the shelf is a little bit more narrow neck E to E, with R2 nut and Floyd Rose Pro for narrow string spacing. 10-12" compound fretboard,
          Huge railroad tie 6100 stainless steel frets and a thick 'ish' neck. The knobs and switch just where i want them (actually pretty close to Ibanez Rg style) and i'm golden.

Here's a mockup for my own visual reference, same angled rear offset body , and slightly stretched butt with a shorter open lower horn for more clearance.
          I've got the actual scale blueprints all drawn up for it, and am always staring at them. It's drawn as a bolt on as well with the same heel you have,
          but i have been debating make it a neck thru. Still up in the air on that. Anyway seeing yours just makes the anticipation much worse, thanks a lot

Comment

Trem, that mock up is excellent, Cool as hell . What are your wood and PU's choices? I think I like building them as much as playing... If you get a little wary of building the neck yourself, I found your specs on musikraft.com. I believe your choices are available from the drop down menu's.

Head Stock Orientation: Right for Right Handed Players
            Scale: 25-1/2" Standard Fender
            Number of Frets: 24 With FB Extenion
            Nut Width: 1-5/8" (R2)
            Heel Width: Standard Fender 2-3/16"
            Neck Wood: Quarter Sawn Maple + $65
            Finger Board Wood: Indian Rwd
            Tuner Hole Size: Gotoh/Scaller/Sperzel 10 mm
            Trussrod Option: Duel Acting Adjust at Head
            Finger Board Radius: Compound 10-12 + $25
            Finger Board Style: Slab Style (.25" Thick)
            Finger Board Inlay Top: White Mother of Pearl + $15
            Finger Board Inlay Side Markers: White MOP +$5
            12th Dot Spacing: Narrow Post 1964
            Fret Size and Type: Jumbo 6100 .110 X .055
            Nut Style: Floyd W/O Holes +$20
            Back Profile Thickness @ the 1st and 12th Fret: Thin D .75 to .81
            Custom Up-Charges: None
            Nut Installation Option: NONE No Nut Installed
            Finish: Tung Oil + $35
            Additional Options: Semi Rolled Finger Board Edges
            Shipping Option/Delivery Signature Required: Signature Required (NO)
            . Total: $360.00

Expensive yes - But great quality.

Comment

Working...
            X