Share yer Killer Project Axes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share yer Killer Project Axes

I've flushed a considerable amount of cash down the toilet on project guitars but every once in a while, ya hit the jackpot and find/build a keeper. I struck gold on a cheapo RR Ex that I refinished and upgraded. SD Blackout set, swapped a toggle for the 3 way blade switch, OFR, Mighty Mite neck w/ reverse head stock, Planet waves tuners, strap locks, blah blah blah... point is, the thing fuckin' ROCKS. All the best upgrades in the world don't guarantee it will play well but this one does. I have a 52 on the E and 9 - 32 on the rest. Damn thing is balls heavy sounding. And don't worry, I painted the trem route black.

So, any other kick ass project axes out there?

HSH Kelly from parts i.e ebay special lol. went from this....

to this!!!!!

i didnt know the floyd route was that fucked when i bought it though, but i received a 25% refund over it. anyway i fell in love with those flourescent ibanezes, so i decided a screaming yellow kelly was a good thing. sadly, i have no pics of it in between. i screwed the stripes up and didnt live with it long before i shot it aquamarine pearl ( the toyota mr2 color that shifts from green to copper, had a quart left over). man it was sexy, but its much sexier now!!!

EDIT: hey man, you wouldnt mind telling me how to lay out a perfect checkerboard like that would you?? my first idea was a black and white c/b on that guitar, but i could NOT get it right, so i did stripes. or, stripes-ish lol.
    Last edited by jacksonkellyfreak; 04-03-2012, 03:59 AM.
    Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
      HSH Kelly from parts i.e ebay special lol. went from this....

to this!!!!!

i didnt know the floyd route was that fucked when i bought it though, but i received a 25% refund over it. anyway i fell in love with those flourescent ibanezes, so i decided a screaming yellow kelly was a good thing. sadly, i have no pics of it in between. i screwed the stripes up and didnt live with it long before i shot it aquamarine pearl ( the toyota mr2 color that shifts from green to copper, had a quart left over). man it was sexy, but its much sexier now!!!

EDIT: hey man, you wouldnt mind telling me how to lay out a perfect checkerboard like that would you?? my first idea was a black and white c/b on that guitar, but i could NOT get it right, so i did stripes. or, stripes-ish lol.
      LOL! I love the green (but the stripes can go). I'm with ya on the bright, eye searing colors- the yellow is a good choice. I had to laugh because I scored that RR Ex on feeBay as well and the dude shipped it in hs case w/ no box. I was floored when I saw the case with postage on it, waiting at my door. Thank god it wasn't raining or anything.
      That's shame about the trem route being fubar-ed. But looks like you were able to turn it into a killer ax. Nice job!!!
      As for the checks, it's actually easy. I primed it then hit it with solid coat of the yellow. Using the low tack painters tape, I laid out a set of squares separated by the width of the tape. No measuring. Then I sprayed a coat of black, let it dry, then shifted the tape grid over diagonally and sprayed a 2nd coat. Let dry, clear coat, wetsand 40,000 times, then buff polish and there ya go.

Comment

preciate the compliments on it man, and if i ever get sick of the solid yellow, im sorry to say im stealing your design!! that thing is bad bad bad man. id bet any money you got that fro the same guy i got my charvel from. same deal, no box, just a locked case with postage and an envelope with the keys taped to it. irresponsible!! what if the envelope detached? i mean my address was on it as well, but still.....
        Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

This is a recent project of mine, and "killer" has dual meaning here.

Comment

I've got a few 1 completed, 1 being prepped and 5 on the back burner lol. I can get into this thread . Ill post pics soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
              I've got a few 1 completed, 1 being prepped and 5 on the back burner lol. I can get into this thread . Ill post pics soon.
              Bust 'em out. Love projects that turn out nice AND play well.

Comment

I recently finished a Jake E Lee inspired project. It looks and plays great.

Axe what did you use for the blood drips on that Ibanez?

Comment

i'm game!
                  got this Westone unknown off of craigslist for $60 and it needed some help. i repainted it, got some kahler lock nut parts ala wammi world, dropped in a Duncan Distortion(J) and ESP rail from my M-II, and redid the wiring. sounds and plays really well!

Now;

now the only thing i'm missing is the part that an arm screws into on the bottom of the base plate. its an old Gotoh, like the ones that were on the old Gunslingers.

then i assembled a tele from a New Guinea rosewood body, jackson-esque neck that i modded to fit a lock nut, gold hardware, DiMarzio Super3, and a pickup from the above Westone. this is also a killer guitar, too!
                  the neck that needed some board removal for the locknut.

Then the best for last! this started out as just a Lotus strat copy. repainted it to a green-purple finish, then got a Schaller Floyd and a h,h loaded guard off of ebay to start. later dropped an EMG HZ H4, got an Ibby RG470 neck(-2 frets, micro routed, finally a lock nut neck!) EMG 81/85, and a custom pickguard from Terrapin Guitars to Finish it off. the design lights up with a led i installed in it.
                  this is from the last repaint, to show the color change;

when i first got it;(thank ebay for having an exact guitar!)

after the Schaller, paint, and ebay guard;

now;

the hardest part was finding a good Lotus logo to put on the head! a guy from ebay sent me pic on request and i vectored it and got a vinyl decal done up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                    Axe what did you use for the blood drips on that Ibanez?
                    I sent the body off to have the paint work done. It is brutally realistic and has a 3D congealed appearance.

Last edited by Axewielder; 04-08-2012, 09:56 AM.

Comment

most of mine are still works in progress

musikraft ASH dinky body, jackson neck, floyd, may get finished may just sit in the corner with its friend.

Musikraft lightweight Ash 3 tite strat body, real SD era Charvel neck and brass V-trem....ARGHHHHH

Jackson Dinky SD era, low serial# was converted from a Kahler fulcrum (model???) to a floyd, needs to be converted for floyd bushings as the wood type screw posts walked a bit and paint tho i like the relic'd look on it.

Fender MIM? factory floyd'd strat body, jackson woodburn neck, floyd, mirror PG, now has an old BL L500L in it, still needs a bit of fine tuning but plays killer.

Comment

These are the two bodies I've made so far, previously posted over the last 6 mo.s:

Want to do a bolt on, single hum COW with a wraparound badass style bridge next.

Comment

@ The Guitar: what a makeover on that Westone. Very cool!

Comment

Heres a few of the ones i have in the fire.

This started as a ugly SL1 that i got off a guy on SS.org. Then turned into the "Mean Green Riff Machine."

Fantastic Player. I ended up rough cutting some single coil sized maple blocks to cover the holes. then fitted them tight as i could. Glued em in and Then Had this dude down here thats awesome at painting do the rest.

Then Turned into this!

I have another Soloist that i picked up many moons ago that im doing this to.

Going Hum / Single. Covering up the selector switch and the huge hole someone enlarged for whatever reason and then I will wire it like Lynch one push pull to switch between.

This ones getting painted pretty close to agent orange with pearl.

More coming.. Im short winging an Alexi 600 that was damaged in shipping.. LOL As a friend said its going to be a AlexiXTRR!

Comment

Axe:

Oh okay, I thought you might have done it yourself. Looks killer!

Corpse:

Pretty cool color on that Green Soloist.

Some cool project guitars here guys!
                              Last edited by Sharkfin; 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X