Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting Mustaine quote in new Guitar Player interview.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Mustaine quote in new Guitar Player interview.

What was your workhorse studio gear for recording Th1rt3en?

I used my Marshal JVM410h, a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx preamp and effects processor, and a Korina VMNT that I rely on a lot in the studio. I used to play my main Jackson in the studio even when I was endorsed by ESP, but I don't have to do that kind of thing now because my Deans sound as good in the studio as they do live.

Sick burn on ESP...
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Dave left ESP because "the relationship wasn't there." I don't know what ESP did to piss Dave off; but man, I'd like to know.

Comment

Dave please come back home for an all Jackson lineup... wait can Dave hear me through this forum?

sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

Good for these guys for having endorsements I guess, but to me it's all a bit like Rusty Wallace being associated with Pontiac... no Ford... wait, Toyota pays the bills now.

It's just business, I get it.

Comment

I'd rather have a ESP over a Dean anyday.
          2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
          Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

I wish Dave and Jackson would work together again. It just seems soo odd whenever I see Dave playing anything else.

Comment

That's not unusual. It seems like most ESP endorsees record with other guitars.

It only bothers me when ESP is running ads essentially taking credit for the sound of the guitar work of recorded albums, which is pretty much implied in every ESP ad for someone who did not record with them.

Originally posted by Animus View Post

Not me. ESP is one company I have absolute zero respect for.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth View Post
                T
                Not me. ESP is one company I have absolute zero respect for.
                Some of the older ESP's were really good guitars, but they really trashed their own name when they started flooding the market with cheaper guitars.
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                  Some of the older ESP's were really good guitars, but they really trashed their own name when they started flooding the market with cheaper guitars.

It's not only that. It's the blatant knocking-off of sig guitars of dead artists (especially in Japan where they do it more under other names and even under the ESP name). That's like a line in the sand for me. Plus ESP has targeted Jackson since the 80's with always wanting to take everything Jackson gets, and most of the time they get it. And it's like every time they get a new artist sig model, lo and behold it's a copy of what that artist was already playing from another maker.

ESP is probably the only major guitar-maker without a single unique model it can truely call its own

Comment

It's not only that. It's the blatant knocking-off of sig guitars of dead artists (especially in Japan where they do it more under other names and even under the ESP name). That's like a line in the sand for me. Plus ESP has targeted Jackson since the 80's with always wanting to take everything Jackson gets, and most of the time they get it. And it's like every time they get a new artist sig model, lo and behold it's a copy of what that artist was already playing from another maker.
                    So true, stuff like the Hetfield iron cross ripoff and the Alexi Laiho Rhoads ripoff are disgraceful, but ESP also made a lot of guitars that have good features and are well priced for amateur or semi pro players. In the last decade Jackson has been slow to respond to the competition from the LTD's and Schecters of the world and also it has been difficult to get the new models. I think the Jackson body shapes are the coolest ever for metal guitars, but I play a Schecter 7 string because Jackson doesn't have a lot of variety in that segment. But I digress...

ESP is probably the only major guitar-maker without a single unique model it can truely call its own
                    There's the EX and the Snakebyte and they both look like ass.
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

It's not only that. It's the blatant knocking-off of sig guitars of dead artists (especially in Japan where they do it more under other names and even under the ESP name).
                      I'm not an ESP owner and I don't really have any on my "must have" list, but...didn't we do this already? You mentioned the Rhoads Laiho ripoff, said it was more blatant in Japan, I pointed to the Japanese site and asked where, the thread died shortly thereafter. I mean, all brands use a certain array of shapes (Strat, Tele, LP, Explorer, Flying V, etc), so if you start taking aim at one company you may as well shoot all of them.

Maybe I'm just conservative, but I'd rather see better QC and construction methods with more options rather than some snazzy new shape (after all, that's how we end up with stuff like the Stabbed Poo :P).

And that applies to ALL the companies, not just ESP/Jackson/Fender/etc.

Comment

Well it would make sense that his Deans can handle what he needs like his Jacksons since they basically copied the Jackson minus the head stock. I haven't played one, but from first look the body, bevels, neck shape, etc... look so similar, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that Dave gave Dean one of his remaining Jacksons and said "make me one like this" I mean Dean, so can ESP for that matter, can make quality guitars so if you get what your used to whats the difference? As for the great ESP debate. I have an early nineties MII deluxe bolt on and I love it. It was my main go to strat shape guitar for a very long time. Has a great neck and fantastic quality. I haven't purchased, or played a new ESP so I can't comment on that. I would still love to get my hands on an early Kamikaze. I just love those Lynch models.
                        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                          I'm not an ESP owner and I don't really have any on my "must have" list, but...didn't we do this already? You mentioned the Rhoads Laiho ripoff, said it was more blatant in Japan, I pointed to the Japanese site and asked where, the thread died shortly thereafter. I mean, all brands use a certain array of shapes (Strat, Tele, LP, Explorer, Flying V, etc), so if you start taking aim at one company you may as well shoot all of them.

Maybe I'm just conservative, but I'd rather see better QC and construction methods with more options rather than some snazzy new shape (after all, that's how we end up with stuff like the Stabbed Poo :P).

And that applies to ALL the companies, not just ESP/Jackson/Fender/etc.

Sure most share general shapes, but no one has been as blatant as ESP has. They produced near-exact knock-offs with their names in place up until they get sued, then only slightly modify the design (and ususally only in America) to make it legal. They must have gone through that legal dance with Fender, Jackson, Gibson, and everyone else a hundred times over the years.

And find me one guitar-maker who made the Rhoads before Jackson did. It's more distinctly unique than a Les Paul or strat in a field of double-cuts and single-cuts.

Comment

Here's the last ESP thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/121...ACKSON-CHARVEL

Comment

Originally posted by Animus View Post
                              I'm with you, I don't mind real ESP guitars at all. I have a few and like them a lot.
                              Rudy
                              www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                              X