7-String?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7-String?

Anyone have a SLAT3-7 Soloist? Being the die-hard Jackson nut I am, I kinda want to stick with them. But I'm in the market for a 7-string and wonder what your guys' thoughts are.

Annah...WTF??!! How are you! It's really nice seeing people today..

Well I bought a DK-7R..or whatever the F it's called from Chris (Firebird V) a few years ago, and it's a great guitar. I just didn't bond with it. I'm staying old school, and just tune all my shit to D standard. But my Peavey Wolf drops to C..I posted a clip of that a long time ago. That rattles kidneys! I play 4 string bass with a Hipshot..what do I know. I see dudes playing 6 string basses that blow balls....learn 4 ya fucks!

I gave the 7 to my son Vinny who is putting it to GREAT use with his freind who bought an argile baritone 7. Nice for the money. They're recording shit. If something surfaces I will post it! Well The Jackson 7 is black, satin hardware w/floyd and reversed headstock! It looks and sounds bad ass, and it is holding up with my kid. That means alot because he kills everything! I can't keep track of all the Fuggin' names like SLAT3-7.. DK-7R with a cherry on top. It's crazy with all the names..I get dizzy.

My friends srarted a 7 string co years ago called "Strickly 7". If Ya ever talk to Jim or Paul, tell 'em I said..blow me. Especially Paul..he's a sasquach..no really!

See ya laterz,

Billz
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have enough problems with 6 strings

Comment

LOL! Hey Horns ma man!! Thanks for the info. I'm leanin' toward the SLAT3-7 but have heard good things about some Schecter and ESP stuff. Though, the SLAT comes with a case and those don't. Kinda a big selling point IMHO.

Comment

I bought a Schecter C-7 Custom and it's worth far more than the $800 I paid for it... Truly exceptional...
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Hey Annah, I have had the Old RR-7 & Loved it ,sucks you can't find them anymore! Only draw back to the RR-7 no floyd. I'ld say check out the Slat3-7 They are great playing guitars! If you don't want to drop that much money go with an Agile Ghost , or 1 of their 7 string V's.
            According To The Prophecy

Comment

The new SLAT3-7s play like old Jackson Professionals from the early 90s. I've played a few and I know a few guys on here who have them and just love them.

My friend kmanick should chime in soon because he has one.

Good luck - I was hoping to see more news from jackson regarding a cheaper import 7 string model this year at NAMM but alas ... no dice.

Comment

Thanks guys. I do kinda want the Floyd, but damn if Gibson doesn't make a killer 7-string Flying V now. I have a newer SG and love that thing, but alas, neither of them has a trem. I'm not dead-set on a 7 with a trem though. It's a lot of balance management going on! I usually block my trems though.

For those with a 7-string with a Floyd, how tight is the tension on your trem? Is it any harder to push/pull than a 6-stringer?

Comment

Hey Annah! I got a Carvin 7-string last year and love it. Their necks are thicker than Ibanez but thinner than Schecter, a little comparable to Jacksons, and they're not all that expensive. This is the route I'd go. Hell, they even have an 8-string now! You can order any body and neck wood you want, and you've got a choice of Floyd, hardtail or string-thru/TOM bridge, plus you can choose ebony, rosewood or maple boards with a choice of inlays, choice of hardware color, and you can have it painted/stained whatever color you want.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My slat3-7 is the best 7 I've played. Its a really well designed guitar, its comfortable and playability is key. Sounds pretty awesome too. I've had/played the schecters and theyre beasts, but not upto the jackson par. The esp 7's I've played have been total planks? The ibanez have been way over priced down here and sounded rubbish. So very very happy jackson released this, I jumped on the first one in gunmetal that popped up. Love it!

Never played carvin. Stopped caring about them when they locked os ip's from the american store. They're the price of a jackson custom shop through the retail channel here!

Comment

Hey Bibz,

Where did you get your Slat3-7 from?

If you dont mind me asking

Cheers

EDIT: Sorry for the derail Annah, just interested in this model myself as well
                      Last edited by ralph; 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I nearly put that info in! heh. Drumcity Guitarland in colorado. Wired the money at my local branch no probs.

Comment

thanks, will check it out, cheers

Comment

Didn't read the thread well enough, so if someone already said it, I apologize. Don't buy Schecters especially if you're used to the Jackson necks. They are waaay too thick. I bought one 7 string schecter and got the 7 string hellraiser in trade for a DK2M and don't play them at all! I sold the former and am trying to get rid of the Hellraiser.

The best 7 string I've tried so far is the Ibanez Universe and the RG7321 and RG7 something. The cheapo 7321 according to the folks on the SS.org is a great bang for the buck. The neck is very nice and fast and if you're just getting into 7's couldn't ask for more.
                            Sam

Comment

Emperor, and all, thanks! I'm not gonna go for a Schecter. If non-Jackson, I'd like to get the ESP Horizon FR but that's almost $2k. I'm tempted by the ESP LTD H1007 FR 7. It's a beaut, has EMGs and gets good reviews. I'm still iffy on it though. I've dropped my KE2 to drop-A with 70-11's and blocked the trem. She's brutal as f**k and it works for what I'm doing at the moment, but I lose that high E string obviously. So, I'm torn I guess... ESP or Jackson... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X