Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a locking nut shim cure fret buzz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would a locking nut shim cure fret buzz?

if the strings buzz while playing them open, but stop buzzing at fret #1, then shim it. if not, then it's not going to help much, as you take the nut out of the equation as soon as you fret a note.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: Would a locking nut shim cure fret buzz?

You can easily shim it by yourself. Get a thin piece of cardboard, business card, the outer plastic from a set of guitar strings, take the nut off, cut the material to size and place it underneath the nut. Or you can always get the little metal shims from Stew-Mac or a hardware store, etc.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
      You can easily shim it by yourself. Get a thin piece of cardboard, business card, the outer plastic from a set of guitar strings, take the nut off, cut the material to size and place it underneath the nut. Or you can always get the little metal shims from Stew-Mac or a hardware store, etc.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd have to agree with sully as soon as you fret a note, the nut is moot, and to add to toejam's advice TINFOIL,,, works good too [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Brass shim material from a hobby store. Worked for one of my guitars.

Comment

I too have a guitar that buzzes at the first fret, if not a nut shim I'm curious then sully, what is the fix?

Comment

Would a locking nut shim cure fret buzz?

In the 2+ years I've owned my KV2, there has always been some degree of fret buzz. Humidity fluctuation has been an ongoing problem for me, but I think there's more to it than that. I've loosened the truss rod almost as far as it can go. The original locking nut had a burr in it, so I had it replaced. Some frets had settled or risen, so I had them leveled. This guitar has been professionally set up twice, just so I could rule out stupidity on my part.

I like relatively low action, and the tech I go to sets it up as such, but even raising the action doesn't seem to help. The buzz is most obvious at the first couple of frets, and it's pretty apparent that I'm fretting out. Now, I only have one guitar with a shim under the locking nut (USA Hamer Californian - the shim appears factory) and I'm wondering if that sounds like the logical fix for the KV2. If so, is that something I should be able to easily do myself, and where would I get a shim to fit an R3 nut?
            sigpic

Comment

Raising the nut is only going to affect the strings clearance at the first fret. Adding a little relief (up bow) will stop some buzzing on the lower frets (2 - 10 or so) and raising the action is going to prevent you from fretting out on the higher frets when you bend.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

If your nut or slot is too low, then it will buzz when you play an open string. Once you fret a note ie. first fret or anywhere, the nut is then taken out of the picture. So if it only buzzes while you are fretting a note, then it is not the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon:
                  Brass shim material from a hobby store. Worked for one of my guitars.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...and a few of mine too! thanks pat! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

if you're not getting buzz while the string is open, but buzz when you fret a note, you should check for twists, high/low frets, or add a little relief.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

You're very welcome, Sully. Cheap stuff, so it was no big favor. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="yellow">Another really inexpensive alternative/way to get varying thicknesses of material to shim a nut is to go to a discount auto parts store or similar store that sells cheap spark-plug feeler guages....they are only a couple bucks, have varying thicknesses of shims, and you don't really need a big piece so you could probably shim at least 2 guitars with one "leg" of the feeler guage. Just a [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

You may have a floating fret. A floating fret is one that will go down when pushed, but pops back up when pressure is relieved. Say your guitar buzzes from the nut to the 5th fret. Push down on the 6th fret and see if it moves. A floating fret will not be solved by a level/dress, because the pressure in leveling the fret will make it sit flat. To fix a floating fret, you hold it down with your fret hammer and put a drop of cyano based superglue on it. Should work like a charm. But be very careful with the superglue, you can casuse more harm than good.

Comment

what does a higher priced high end guitar have that a cheaper one doesnt..I mean that almost all lower end guitars buzz..and high ones dont seem too..and they also have action thats like a sixteenth inch off the frets?

Comment

<font color="yellow">Higher end guitars usually/normally get a lot more personalized attention when it comes to set-up and fret work.

You get what you pay for.

As far as the 1/16" reference, I can't slip a 1mm pick between the frets of my Shannon Soloist and the strings and it doesn't fret out/buzz at all.....my Les Paul Custom is even lower....same thing....no issues....

</font>

Comment

You can use a tin soda can too. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X