Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding a painted neck

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if any of you could recommend a way to take the paint off my SL2H's neck and make it smooth and unfinished. If you know of anybody that can do this service that you would recommend I would appreciate if you could point me in their direction, as I am not exactly a luthier. Thanks

DON'T do it. It'll drop resale on any guitar. If you have to have that feel then buy a guitar thats already has that type of neck. Doing this kind of mod will not make you play any better or faster and could possibly do damage to the neck.

Comment

I've done many necks starting with 120 grit and ending with 320 grit, no problems. Leave it unfinished, tung oil it, whatever. Of course, I don't buy my guitars with concern about resale.

Comment

If you sand it very lightly, you can get a matte satin finish. It can always be buffed out to a high gloss shine again afterwards.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          If you sand it very lightly, you can get a matte satin finish. It can always be buffed out to a high gloss shine again afterwards.
          +1
          use a fine scotch brite pad, scuff the finish it will feel as good as a satin finished neck.

Comment

+1billion. it will eventually go shiny again from playing it, but it beats irreversible mods, imo.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

To get a satin finish, Start with 1000 grit sand paper and if you need a finer finish go to 1500. Sand it lightly in one direction until the gloss is removed, it will sand easily and be sure not to use alot of pressure so you don't go through the clear coat. That way if you would like to part with the guitar in the future you can buff it back up with no problem and no one would recognize that you did it if done properly.

Comment

Working...
              X