Fretting Out Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretting Out Question

When my Custom Demon came in it was cold. Like an idiot I opened up the case up too soon (without letting the guitar warm up) and the truss rod must have moved because the set up was totally off.

Without knowing any better I made the adjustments right then and there still on a cold guitar to get it to play.

I put a lot of relief in the truss rod. The neck was fairly bowed. This made the action a little harder to play. But the tone was really good.

I just started making adjustments to get the truss rod back to a reasonable level - which is where its at now.

Now this may have been the case before adjusting the truss rod back but I now notice that when I bend the high e string up on the 15th and 19th frets only - and I have to bend them up a whole third for this to happen - they fret out.
    It does not happen on the b string or any other strings or on any other frets on the high e string.
    I'm wondering if it could be the Floyd and not the frets - in that the Floyd does not line up exactly with the combination radius neck.

Or should I take the thing in and get it professionally set up?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

FWIW I think that whole not-opening-the-case-before-it's-warmed-up thing is a load of BS. The case does not insulate that well. With that said, yes temperature changes will cause the guitar to shift a bit, which then needs some readjustment.

Now, to your question: look at the Floyd. It should either have a slight curve or the saddles will all have slightly different heights. If everything looks good, take it to a shop and get their opinion. It probably just needs some fretwork.
    Scott

Comment

Working...
    X