Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lowest you should go on a 25.5" scale...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowest you should go on a 25.5" scale...?

at what point does intonation go to crap?!?

Im trying out C with a .54 on a 25.5" scale, and it doesnt want to intonate too well. My saddle is ALL the way back, and still doesnt wanna work out!!!

Im gonna buy a baritone, but im curious if any studio work is done with guitars tuned much lower?!?

Or do I just need a heavier gauge string?!?!

At that depth, you may want to alter your playing style a tad rather than adjust the intonation further. Try playing those chords on the next string/lower frets, if you're going up to the 12th or so.

As well, it's probably not bad intonation so much as it is just obstructed oscillation. I'm assuming the fretted 12th is out? Could be due to the fretting itself (action too low, fret worn, etc).

I keep my black NASL tuned to C# using EB 9s and a Schaller JT590-style trem. While I haven't checked the intonation, I'm not detecting any dissonance with 5th chords (Sabbath).

Then again, I'm also not fretting anything on the 6th string past the 10th fret, because I only use it to play C# Sabbath stuff.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

c# on 9's??!?!

Yeesh Newc, your playing with spaghetti!

Comment

Well, I'm not flogging the strings.

Plus it's Sabbath - not exactly Speed Metal is it?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

ive known of guys playing in drop A with 9-42's! and he plays fast death-metal type stuff. crazy i know, but he makes it work. its all in the technique. and Tony Iommi used really light strings tuned down a bunch as well.

i use 11-54 (and will be using 11-50 whenever my new strings come in. im getting impatient) in B tuning and dont really have any intonation problems on my RR3. it takes a while to set them up, and it may be slightly out here and there, but guitars are never perfect, and i just do what i can with what i have.
          My metal band Lucian Scott
          Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
          Available Now!
          New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Some guitars just won't intonate right when tuning low (mainly the lowest string). You can lower your action a little to help, but other than that, get a baritone.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X