Cutting Pickguard material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Pickguard material

Anyone out there have any bright ideas for getting a nice angled cut on blank pickguard material? Any help would be cool. I was thinking of cutting the shape with a bandsaw 1st and then using my dremel with a homemade jig to get the angle right.

Chuck
    "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Re: Cutting Pickguard material

Most people use a router after cutting it with a bandsaw.

Comment

DO NOT CUT CELLULOID! (or cellulite/lose/whatever the old pickguards are). That crap can explode if cut incorrectly - or does it give off a poisonous gas? I forget - must be the polydust from sanding guitars [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, yeah I'd set a cutting blade for the angle and hack away if it's plastic [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Or cut it square and sand/grind the angle on by hand.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Stew-mac has a router bit in there catalog made for cutting the bevel on pickguards. HIH Dana [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks guys. Not to sound ignorant, but wth is stew-mac? LOL

Chuck
          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Explode? I've never heard that one, but if it COULD explode from the dust and friction of being cut, then it would FOR SURE explode if you grind it. When you cut something, ideally you are using a sharp instrument to seperate the material in whole pieces, whereas grinding it you are atomizing the particles in the air(oxygen) and adding a much greater amount of heat to the equation. We've cut plenty of pickguards in our class, and no one has exploded yet. Not even a little bit.

Sparks from shaving metal going into the dust collector can explode, however.

Comment

I exploded once... Man, that sucked...

Comment

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Ro...el_Cutter.html
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                X