replaced JB in the bridge with Custom 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replaced JB in the bridge with Custom 5

so I just replaced the JB bridge pickup in my SL2H (alder body, flame maple top, ebony fingerboard), with a TB-14 Custom 5.

So far, it hasn't had the huge impact I expected, but I haven't had time to compare with "test clips" I recorded before the swap yet.

I feel that the Custom 5 has more bottom end (like expected, from the EQ chart at SD), slightly less output, a little better string separation and maybe slightly more defined/articulate sound overall (this may be a direct effect from the lower output compared to the JB), and it has a bit more of a "dynamic attack", in lack of a better term.

I'm pretty sure it will stay put, unless my clip comparisons will tell me otherwise.

All things I would expect from the swap. Congrats if it is the tone you were looking for.

Comment

IMO, the Custom 5 sounds better than the JB (the JB has more treble and high mids, less bass). The C5 has more low end, better highs, slightly scooped midrange (which lends to its more articulated sound). It didn't really work for me in my alder Charvel Star, sounded too scooped in the mids, so I put in a Tone Zone and am much happier. I think the C5 would be a little better in a mahogany body than alder.

The C5 seems like a suped-up '59, just wound a little hotter... which could explain why the C5 has more bass and is a little darker sounding, too. The '59 has the exact same EQ on the tone chart, but sounds sweeter and not as scooped due to its lighter wind.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would have gone with a Custom or Custom Custom. The C5 has an Alnico magnet like the JB, but the C and CC have ceramics.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I tried the C5 in my old Charvel strat, and ended up replacing it with a Custom. I agree with Toe about the mids. Just a little too scooped for me in that guitar. I still have it, though, and I want to try it out in my Model 6. IMO, neckthroughs tend to have more midrange than bolt-ons in general (even taking the woods into account), and I think it might be a nice match. So I'm interested to see what your final verdict is on the C5 in the Soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            I would have gone with a Custom or Custom Custom. The C5 has an Alnico magnet like the JB, but the C and CC have ceramics.
            Only the Custom has ceramic. The Custom 5 has an Alnico 5 and the Custom Custom has an Alnico 2.

Comment

I like the Custom 5. I think you made a good choice. It has all of the charactoristics yo metioned.

And when you turn down the volume say to 7 or 8 it get very dynamic and even more articulate.
              PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Toe

Anyway, whatever it's got it sounds great for Sabbath in C#
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i like the jb better than the C5. still undecided about the Custom. i swapped that out for a custom custom in my mohagany bodied maple neck star. the custom custom is a sweet sounding pup. like a hotter alnico pro II or somehting. the custom is like a darker distortion. i need to try it in alder.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

the reason I went for the C5 was basically because I tried the Diezel Herbert with a floyded Charvel standard pointy, solid black, alder body, maple neck/board. These guitars supposedly has TB-14 in them stock.
                    the Herbert took really well to the Charvel, but when I tried it with a SL2H with EMG 81's it kinda just went "flat" in the dynamics department...an enormous difference, really.

Hence, I was curious to see if the TB-14 would add something more to the sound of my Blackmore...and I also liked the idea of a little more bass, and a little scooping of mids compared to the mid-fest that is the JB (which is GREAT for rock'n'roll, but not so great for metal..guess which style I play most of the time )

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      Thanks for the correction, Toe

Anyway, whatever it's got it sounds great for Sabbath in C#
                      You really can't go wrong with the Custom series either way. I'd take any of them over a JB any day. I've heard the JB does better as a neck pup.

Comment

Working...
                      X