Difference between Basswood and Mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Difference between Basswood and Mahogany

I read a couple of years ago that Epiphone Les Pauls are made of whatever mahogany is available, while Gibson Les Pauls use strictly (gasp!) Honduran mahogany.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

My Hamer Special FM is a nice slab Honduran mahogany body and set neck, 3/8" maple top. That's awesome tone! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      My Ibanez RG7620 7-string is basswood, and it's not really that much lighter than the Hamer, but it's tone is a little brighter but strange sounding to me. It seems like it's in between mahogany an alder, but I'm not that crazy about it. If you want a really light tonewood that just sings, go with swamp ash!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey toejam...I was just looking at your avatar and wondering..shouldn't it be joetam ? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Should be, just changed the two letters around. Someone gave me the nickname in high school.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I was looking at toejam's avatar and wondering where that symbol came from, since it looks almost identical to the little symbol on the "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" album cover. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest:
                I was looking at toejam's avatar and wondering where that symbol came from, since it looks almost identical to the little symbol on the "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" album cover. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The avatar pic is Derek Riggs' signature... it's hidden on just about every Iron Maiden album cover, that I know of (How could you not know that?!? And you call yourself a Maiden fan? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ). I think Mark was talking about looking in my profile. Since my name is Joe Tamborra, the first letters are switched... JoeTam/ToeJam. Get it? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ November 12, 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Working...
                X