Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 string necks...

Hey all -

I'm looking to replace the neck on my LTD 7 string with a maple-fretboarded one? Anyone know of a company/luthier that's doing this for a reasonable amount of money?

Note - Warmoth's 7 string necks are 25" scale, for some strange reason, and the LTD is 25.5, so they're not an option.

Thanks
    Mike
    Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Re: 7 string necks...

You might be forced to rely on one coming up on Ebay and a maple boarded one would even be pretty hard to find there.

Comment

JG -

Yeah, I'm figuring I might have to pay a luthier to make one for me, as I only ever see 22 fret 7 string necks come up, and I need 24 for this guitar...

Mike

Comment

Are you SURE the Warmouth 7 string necks are 25" scale, and not 25.5"? Warmouth makes replacement parts, and PRS is the only major manufacturer to make the majority of their guitars in 25" scale, and they don't make a bolt-on 7 string as far as I know. I would double check that.

Comment

Hey, does Warmoth only do that one headstock and those 2 bodies for their 7 strings?

Also I think ebay's gonna be your only viable option if Warmoth won't do it.
          I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

Why not order a wide neck from Warmoth with a paddle headstock? Then you can take that to a luthier, have them cut the headstock shape you want, and drill the 7 tuner holes and also file the nut.

What's the heel size on the neck you have, and what's the nut width?

Pete

Comment

Ace -

Yeah, I'm completely sure they're 25" - I was going to build one out of their parts, but I want the scale to be 25.5" so it matches my Soloist 7. Damn strange. WD also only makes 7 string necks in 26 and something inch scale length. It's seven string discrimination, I tell you!

Pete -

If you're asking me, I'll have to go measure it at home, as I can't seem to find the specs anywhere. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

I checked it out this afternoon - Warmoth actually advertise that it's 25", "for easier spreads".
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Pete -

That might work, but their wide necks are 22 fret, and the LTD is 24.

Figures. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've also though hard about buying a Carvin thru-neck 7 string center block and just sawing a heel off of it, but they don't sell a maple-boarded one. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Mike

Comment

Did ya call Carvin? I've heard they will do stuff not in the catalog/website...
                    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Yeah, you can get a Carvin neck with maple or ebony board. Like Nor said, they've got a lot of hidden options and things not listed.
                      Or get in touch with Ken (WarriorX7) as he makes his custom guitars with Carvin necks... he's got an account with them and they cut them to his specs. He's actually getting me a Carvin bolt-on 24-fret neck which are normally only 22 for the normal public.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give them a call. I can't imagine it can be especially difficult for them to just make one without the maple block attached...

Mike

Comment

if you like the neck thats one your guitar now ,send your neck to LGM and get jermey to change the fret board. go to http://www.lgmguitars.com/ and ask if he can help you out . i guess he does great work ,get him to do it and get some custom inlays done to.

Comment

I can tell you Jeremy at LGM Guitars does GREAT work. Very cool guy, great communication. Only drawback is he is located in Canada. If that doesnt bother you though, you should check out his work.

Pete
                            www.myspace.com/mortality

Comment

Thanks, I'll drop him an email. His work looks very good...

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X