Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pups For A DK1 USA model ?

Hey everyone

I have a Jackson USA DK1 With a preamp and EMG's (S/S/H). I am playing through a B-52 AT-100 Half Stack.

My Studio Gibson LP sounds great through the Half Stack and it is stock except for a Lynch Duncan pup installed on it. It has the perfect sound in my opinion. However I am much faster on the Jackson and have a Orig. Floyd Rose Trem on it.

The Jackson seems to sound horrible through the B-52 compared to my LP when I play with my band or jam with friends. It doesn't cut through and I can't be heard at all. When I flip the preamp on all I get is feed back. Turning down the volume or gain just produces even less distortion or power and eveyone else ends up overpowering me. With my LP the master is on 2 and to even be heard well with the Jackson I have to go to about 4 (4 without the preamp on, once i tURN it on it just feeds back and doesnt go any louder.) I've messed with settings but i still can't get a good, clear sound with the Jackson.

Would putting in a Lynch Duncan Screamin' Demon pup solve this problem? I am looking for the 1980's hair metal/hard rock (EVH, Lynch, Reb Beach) sound. Like I said it plays excellent and the pups and preamp seem to be causing a problem. If I could replace the pickups and have this guitar ready to play on stage it would help out so much and would make everything alot easier.

Thanks for the help

Which EMGs are you currently using? 81? 85? 60? S? SA? SV?

Comment

They look just like these http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-USA-Solo...dZViewItem#pix

I bought the guitar used so I am not certain but i think it's the humbucker is an 81 and the two singles are SA.

Comment

Auction won´t load properly in Firefox, and I´m not sure I can make out the logo colors or if they´re all silver...
        http://www.emgpickups.com/text/faq.html#PQ1

Comment

On that auction the bridge pickup logo is silver, therefore you've got an EMG 81 on your DK1

Comment

I think instead of posting a link, you should tell us the EMG logo color. You might think they all look the same, but EMG's humbuckers have gold=85, silver=81, red=89, grey?=60; for Singles, silver=S, gold=SA. Or pull the pickups and look at the back.

Comment

Ok thankssss. The EMG logo on the humbucker is silver on mine just like in the picture, so its an 81. On the two single pups the EMG logo is Gold on both. So i was correct with the 81 humbucker and SA for the snigle pickups?

Thanks now any suggestions on what I should do or what is causing the problem?

Thanks alot

Comment

#1. Make sure you have 25K pots
                #2. Make sure the battery is ok
                #3. Consider switching to an 18v system
                #4. Make sure the preamp is wired correctly.

Check back.

Comment

I'd swithc to an 85 before messing with the 18v crap. I honestly didn't find an improvement at all with it, just increased headroom.

An 85, on the other hand, kicks total ass! It'll be warmer, thicker, and a bit more aggressive than the 81.

Comment

Working...
                  X