No announcement yet.

What gauge for Eb tuning ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like 11-50 for Eb on 25.5" scale guitars. But it's really totally up to personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
      Thats kind of heavy for vibrato and bending... wouldn't you think? You also would have to set the neck up, possibly the nut and the locking trem not to mention the low E tuner hole might not even be big enough for a 54. Especially on locking tuners.
      I've had no problems with 11-54's on any of my Jacksons with OFR's. YMMV of course

But you'd have to be a massochist to use these for anything above D tuning. I had to buy a 4th spring just to use these in D.

-a

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
        Thats kind of heavy for vibrato and bending... wouldn't you think? You also would have to set the neck up, possibly the nut and the locking trem not to mention the low E tuner hole might not even be big enough for a 54. Especially on locking tuners.
        Most common tuners will accept up to a .070 without modification

Originally posted by HoWheels
        I've had no problems with 11-54's on any of my Jacksons with OFR's. YMMV of course

But you'd have to be a massochist to use these for anything above D tuning. I had to buy a 4th spring just to use these in D.

-a
        I must be a masochist, then... ort maybe I just have strong hands and can´t stand uncontrollable note flurries anyway

Comment

To keep the same "feel", you can try going up one gauge when you tune down to Eb or D.

For example, if you use 9-42 when tuned to E, you might want to try 10-46 when you tune to Eb. If you usually use 10-46 for E, then try 11-52 for Eb, etc.

If you have a Floyd, you'll need to tweak that as well, depending on the tuning. Or just buy one of the new DK2T's with the fixed bridge! LOL

Comment

I hate tuning to Eb, but being in a cover band I find that it's better to play E songs in Eb then Eb songs in E. That being said, I have switched from 9 - 46 to 10 - 46 for Eb tuning.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I have used 10-52s for years in everything ranging from D drop C, to standard E, and yes, on some guitars the strings feel too tight when tuned to E. I have decided to switch to 9-42 on my E and drop D guitars, because it feels much slinkier.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It's just personal preference. I'd say 9-42 for 25.5" scale and 10-46 for 24.75" scale are most common, though. Toni Iommi tunes lower than Eb and uses *extremely* light gauge strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                  It's just personal preference. I'd say 9-42 for 25.5" scale and 10-46 for 24.75" scale are most common, though. Toni Iommi tunes lower than Eb and uses *extremely* light gauge strings.
                  Yeah but he had to adapt. He lost two of his fucking fingers. :ROTF:
                  I remember reading an article where he said that he had to use extremely light strings and tune way down to cut down on the amount of pain he would experience. I can only imagine how light of a touch that requires.

Comment

i was using 9-42 on my jackson but just switched to 10-46 and must say i like down tuning with the 10-46 better then the 9-42

Comment

On my strat I use 9-42 for E and Eb
                      on my ESP V I use 10-46 for E and Eb

so for me it depends on the guitar I'm playing.. and the guitar depends on the style of music I play with it.
                      "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                        He uses - 6-66 that why it's so dark & evil RIFFS...........

or you can go with these............

http://www.knuckleheadstrings.com/strings.html
                        Last edited by SGplayer; 05-05-2006, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X