wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring question

Anyone know if a square industrial-style rocking switch can be wired as an on/off killswitch for a guitar?

Something like this:

Re: wiring question

Yes, but the lamp wont work, if thats want you wanted. You would need a seperate supply for that, the problem is the switch and lamp portions of the switch share a common pole. This is according to the little schematic on the side of the switch. A different switch may work.
    The big question is why would you want to use that?

Comment

I wouldn't want the lamp to work.

I want to use it because I want to eliminate the volume and tone from one of my gutars so the volume is constantly on 10 and the tone treble is constantly on ten, the switch would act as an on/off and I think a rocker switch would be much coller to use than a mini toggle or a push.

Comment

Contrary to my previous post, I would not use that switch, I would buy a switch designed for audio circuits. That switch is probably going to be noisy. Go to your local guitar shop see whats available.

Comment

I have on/off toggles, but If these sound alright, they would be badass cosmetically.

Comment

Not related to the switch q, but a wiring q:

Should standard, insulated speaker wire work when, say wiring your input to ground, etc?

I know purists will say "cloth covered wire", but I'm wondering if this type should work.

Thanks!

Comment

Speaker wire? Good speaker wire is at LEAST 16GA and that's pretty big to have inside your control cavity. You would want to use about 24GA wire inside your guitar.

And according to that schematic the signal from your guitar would pass THROUGH the light on the switch, and a resistance that great would certainly kill your guitar tone. Plus that switch looks too deep to fit inside a guitar. Plus you would have to route out the body to accomodate that switch, which would ruin the resale value of your guitar, and leave you with a huge gaping hole if you ever took it out.

Comment

Hey, I just realized that I responded to two different people's posts as though they were the same, sorry about that!!

Comment

I don't care about the resale value or modifications to the guitar, I just want to know if that 'type' of switch (I could even get one with no light) would work as an on/off.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Hey, I just realized that I responded to two different people's posts as though they were the same, sorry about that!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing to be sorry about, man.

That's a gift!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I don't care about the resale value or modifications to the guitar, I just want to know if that 'type' of switch (I could even get one with no light) would work as an on/off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally don't think it's a great idea, but since the switches are only like $5, if you really want to do it buy one and wire it with alligator clips WITHOUT mounting it in your guitar and see if it works...

Comment

Would you people please stop with the "resale value" joke, it's insulting.

Yes, that type of switch will work as a kill switch, but you have to use one that has the same rating as a standard guitar switch - too weak and you'll hear a "thump" as you cut it on or off, too strong and your tone will suffer.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Newc, when you say rating what do you mean? I thought as long as it's SPST than it would work no matter what, no? Do these switches have different impedances?

Comment

Yup. I had a mini-toggle wired as a selector for a set of EMGs, and when I switched from the 85 to the SA, I'd get a "whump" sound.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

So assuming I put it on a guitar with a pair of active emgs, what kindof rocker switch should I be looking for? a 25k like the pots that come with EMGs?

Comment

Working...
                              X