What material is best for filling up holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What material is best for filling up holes

What is the best material to use if I decide to fill in the two single slots of my H/S/S. I was thinking of routing some solid piece of wood to fill most of the hold and then wood filler to finish it off. I've seen some hack jobs before and I don't want that of mine. Any suggestions? Ideas? Comments.

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: What material is best for filling up holes

Bondo auto body filler works well & doesn't shrink or change shape once it cures. Here's one of the Bondo threads:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...page=32#415707

Comment

I have had the best results with bondo too.

Comment

BOndo is also the worst thing in the whole fucking world to have to remove at a later date..... Ever had to chisel bondo out of a trem route? 4 brand new chisels, SCRAPPED.. forget even trying it with a router, even more expensive....

Have wood cut to fit the routs... IMO Bondo IS the Hack route.. do it right /professionally or don´t do it at all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But it´s your axe, your decision [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Not to argue, just a differing opinion, but if you're planning on undoing the fill down the road, why do it in the first place? Personally, I'd only do cavity fills or other major changes on a project guitar anyway, & a Bondo fill (or any major change) should definitely be disclosed to a buyer if if you ever sell the guitar. The "professional" method would be to painstakingly fill with wood blocks, then veneer the top so nothing shows through later, because it damn sure will if you don't veneer. The way I see it, you'd be kicking yourself about wasted time, effort, & money if you undid that later as well. You can also do a compromise technique by filling most of the way with wood, then top it off with Bondo then Evercoat before priming. On the last one I did, I used a maple block to about 1/4" shy of the surface before the Bondo. That would be easier to undo or re-rout if you ever need to. Again, not arguing & I agree 100% with your point about Bondo being a bitch to undo. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Well if your filling any holes with wood, youll want to use the same wood as the body... different woods react differently to environments and expand/contract differently.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Well if your filling any holes with wood, youll want to use the same wood as the body... different woods react differently to environments and expand/contract differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">good point.......and you also want to make sure it has a similar grain thickness and that the grain is going the same way as the surrounding body wood.........heh heh...I said "body wood" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I don't think would want to veneer the top. I understand why that would be the best option (imo). I really cant offord to pay a professional (ok, dont want) to have this done. Maybe my best option is to leave it alone. It's just with the graphic I want, having the H/s/s might take away some of the graphic effect.

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

Put a sticker over the holes.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Not to argue, just a differing opinion, but if you're planning on undoing the fill down the road, why do it in the first place? ....

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn´t fill her, just had the "honor" of restoring her [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

turned J4337 from this

into this

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Talk about an Extreme Makeover! great job [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
                      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Wow! The person that originally messed up that guitar should never be allowed near a guitar again, and you should be awarded a medal for saving it. NICE!

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] WOW! Great job...

joe...
                          www.godwentpunk.com

Comment

I wouldn't fill the hole either. Just but a solid pickup to cover it.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Talk about an Extreme Makeover! great job [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

+1!!!

Zerberus, did you repair that one yourself, or have it professionally done?

Comment

Working...
                              X