Clear All

• where to buy paint?

hey does anyone know where to buy paint for guitars
    got the equipment but dont know where to go for paint
    thanx you sexy bitchs!!
    [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: where to buy paint?

www.reranch.com
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

go to a car paint store. they'll have so many killer things to choose from it will keep you there over two hours.happened to me once. i ended going with this paint that went from purple to green to blue to almost yellow even as you turned it at different angles. you in Califonia? i'll show you where i got mine.
      Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

My fave tactic is to see if any auto body shops have left overs. Most of those guys will be happy to give you some scraps as they don't have to pay to have it taken away.-Lou
        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          My fave tactic is to see if any auto body shops have left overs. Most of those guys will be happy to give you some scraps as they don't have to pay to have it taken away.-Lou

[/ QUOTE ]
          Great idea. I never thought of that. I have a closet full of paint from painting guitars and motorcycles. You never use all the stuff up.

I use a lot of PPG Urethane, base coat/clear coat and PPG OMNI clears. The DP epoxy primers are fantastic. I know Warmoth uses PPG for sure.
          A good idea is to check out the PPG website too. They show you the mixing ratio's for the products too. If you don't know much about how these paints are mixed, I'd investigate with the automotive paint supply house. They can get you started.
          Remember, there are many types of paint. Reranch sells the Nitro based paints that are great, but slow drying and not as durable as Urethanes. Some may argue that Urethane or Polyester alter the tone of an instrument. I use both and don't really hear a difference. Also check out www.guitarrefinishing.com Bill's Website is www.reranch.com
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

What would work well for just painting the headstock? I am painting one up this weekend lol but I have no idea what paint to use yet

Comment

Quickest Method-Are you going to just clear it, paint over a decal (must know if it is a waterslide or vinyl, or are you going to do a color, match a body? There are lots of options. If it's clear and no vinyl decal that you want, take a trip over to Home Depot or Woodcraft and get a spray can of Deft clear (satin or gloss) lacquer spray it on (about 5 coats) and wait about (minimum) 1 week to wet sand and polish. Also, if you are using a vinyl transfer you my want to use Krylon Crystal Clear (it's an acrylic). Lacquer (as in Nitro) and vinyl don't get along. Colors? Go to the auto supply and get some Duplicolor. Need more details on what you are trying to do?
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

yeah im in california

Comment

If you go to an auto paint store be sure to check out the House of Kolor products. they have some very cool candys, flakes, and marbelizers.

Comment

What im doing is painting the front of the headstock black, then putting my design (sticker, probably vinyl) on it, then clearcoating overtop.. would that work? heh.. afew coats of each paint/clear im assuming

Comment

Working...
                    X