2 piece alder strat body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 piece alder strat body

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a 2 piece alder body compared to a 1 piece alder body?

Re: 2 piece alder strat body

Good luck finding a 1 piece alder body!!

99% of all guitars are made from 2 or 3 pieces of body wood glued together(or plywood). It is a very solid construction technique, the glue joint is the strongest part of the body. There is nothing wrong with 2 piece body construction at all.

Comment

Advantage to mfr.= Less cost to the body producer. They can use smaller planks that are satisfactory (absent of knots, insect damage and other cosmetic defects) to glue togther. Going further to a 3 piece for less investment.
      Disadvantage=Higher cost for producer when using a 2 or 1 piece body.
      Advantage to buyer= Less inital cost
      Disadvantage = Cosmetics are affected if using a trans finish and some prefer the tone of a 1 piece over a 2 or 3 piece body. Some have reported a change of tone in a multipiece body, but I wouldn't think it's decernable.
      I've got a 1 piece Korina body coming and it is costing me a $75 increase over a 2 piece body. Of course the upcharge is less for alder or swamp ash. I'm going to be using a clear finish, so I don't want any joining lines on the body.
      Back when Gibson was being sold to Norlin (and moving from the original Kalamazoo location to Nashville), I bought a new LPC, and it had a 5 piece maple top and it was a sunburst. As the lacquer cured over the years, you could see the five joints in the maple top. Not too pretty.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Musikraft has 1 piece bodies. They can make you almost anything you want. Give Jim a call, or send them an email. He'll get back to really fast.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

at least I know Haar-guitars doing strats with 1-Piece-body.
          They R'nt expensive and have a real good name/call (?) here in EU.
          If I'll ever go for Strat, this'll be my choice.
          Of course we've some more luthiers doing 1-p-bodies, but they're much more expensive.
          If your looking for a classic strat go for Haar guitars Netherland!

Comment

My GMW Explorer is one solid piece of mahogany. My GMW Star is almost one piece. There was about a half inch tip on the wing that needed to be glued. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

what about those alder blocks you can order from sites (I think like stewmac, not sure but sites similar) Are those any good? Might buy some soon.

Comment

I have a 1998 SG Standard in dark heritage cherry that's at least two piece - maybe more. But this SG sounds and plays awesome, so much so I sold the 1979 single piece SG instead.

Norlin [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Norlin 5 piece maple top custom? Gawd, I thought the three piece tops were fugly LOL!

I've been on a major urge to get a mid-70's Norlin Custom. Last night I played a 1976 at GC - what a piece of shit! Weighted a ton, nut was all messed up, bridge was horribly collapsed (action was horrible as you could imagine) and GC had a "vintage" tag (read=no negotiating) for $3500. Fugly white cream top but black everywhere else (refin?). The finish seemed so thick as if the guitar was encased in plastic. I've seen these customs sell on the bay for $1400 and now I see why. I have 3 LP's and they all blow this clear out of the water. Killed my GAS'ing for one big time.

End of Norlin [img]/images/graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X