Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Help...

Hi,
    I have a jackson dxmg with a jackson licensed FR and I have a couple questions that maybe you could help with...

1. I have a pretty good understanding of how the FR system works, but for some reason after I got my FR flush to the body it has been sinking into the tremelo cavity at a level rate (so now it is just inside the tremelo cavity). So I know that by loosing the springs evenly it should lift back out, but my problem is that only the back portion is lifting up and the front is dipped down into the cavity. Is there a way to fix this?

2. Also when intonating my guitar, I have found that a few strings are still sharp after the locking nut is as far away from the string holder as possible. Would getting my FR flush fix this problem as well?
    (I'll try to get some pics up soon to explain what I mean more clearly)

Thank You

Re: Floyd Rose Help...

Is the Floyd seated properly on the posts. Is it a used Floyd? If the blades are worn, it may be slipping. As for sharp strings, that's a tuning problem. I have lots of Floyds but I may not know anything. But those are my thoughts. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Well it's a relatively new guitar (bought it new about a year ago)so I don't think anything is worn yet.
      How can I tell if it is seated properly on the posts?

And what I meant is that when intonating the guitar the 12th fret when fretted is sharp compared the the natural harmonic at the 12th fret.

Comment

Have you tried raising the trem posts?
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Well it's a relatively new guitar (bought it new about a year ago)so I don't think anything is worn yet.
          How can I tell if it is seated properly on the posts?

And what I meant is that when intonating the guitar the 12th fret when fretted is sharp compared the the natural harmonic at the 12th fret.

[/ QUOTE ] May sound stupid, but loosen everything up and reseat the Floyd. Jiggle the springs. In other words, start from scratch. Did the saddles slip? Treat the whole thing like it didn't work. You will find the answer. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Check upstairs on the tip-line.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

So lemme get this straight:
            You lowered the bridge by turning the pivot posts, correct?
            Then you loosened the springs in the back and now the back of the tremolo tilts up but the front is still down, correct?

The tremolo height is controlled solely by the pivot posts. The springs only serve to counter-act the pull of the strings. When the trem is flat (not tilted forward or backward) the bridge is balanced.
            However, this doesn't mean the guitar is in tune.

When you lowered the tremolo using the pivot posts, you decreased the tension on the strings slightly, but not enough to make the bridge tilt backwards too far.
            When you loosened the springs, you unbalanced the bridge, and now the strings are pulling harder than the springs, causing the bridge to tilt forward.

You have to tighten the springs to make the bridge level, then unlock the nut, tune using the tuning keys, and then use the fine tuners to tune the guitar once the locking nut is locked.
            However, if you're tuning down below standard E, the tremolo will tilt back when you detune the strings, so you'll have to loosen the springs as you detune the strings to keep the bridge level.

You may also have to loosen the saddles to adjust the intonation.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ok I got the floyd to rise back up even, but I had to adjust the trem posts so now my action is too high. And if I lower it my trem will just lower back down... Did I do something wrong?

thanks for the replies btw

Comment

Im not sure what your describing... on all my guitars, the trem is slightly higher than the body, perfectly level with the body. Can you possibly take a picture of your problem?
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Ok I had a block on the tremelo system, just keeping from raising the pitch. (sorry forgot to mention that) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
                  I just removed the block and the tremelo sits correctly but it won't stay in tune, which is the reason I initially installed the block. So is there anything I can do to help my floyd stay in tune? I've done everything I know to help it stay in tune, and so far nothing has worked besides blocking the tremelo. I'm beginning to think that it's just because it's a jackson licensed floyd and that really sucks...

So any ideas?

Comment

Ive had 5 Jackson JT580LP's and have never had any problems with any of them. How many springs do you have in the back? Is the nut at the headstock locking properly? I would try a new set of springs first and foremost.

Comment

There are 3 springs in the back, I had them aligned parallel but I just changed them to a V shape with one in the middle. And the tuning locks at the headstock work fine.

Comment

Have you always had this problem? What strings and guage are you using? Are they new?

Comment

Yeah the guitar has never been able to hold a tuning well, I changed to 11's along time ago and I put new strings on about a month ago.

Comment

Your probably gonna need a little more spring with 11's... I would probably try a new set of springs, maybe try four this time.

Comment

Ok I'll try that.

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                              X