Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is probably a stupid question, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is probably a stupid question, but...

I've heard from two different local, respected sound guys, that are on opposite ends of the spectrum on how to wrap cables, one guy says circular, and the other says in halfs and then tie it in a loose knot in the middle.
    I haven't lost any sleep over the debate, but I figure alot of the people on this board are very knowledgeable and over my head on technical info and boutique stuff, so I figure I'd throw it out there and see what the result is....
    So how do you guys wrap up and the end of the night?

Re: This is probably a stupid question, but...

I usually do it circular, but I've also seen people do it in half. Don't think it really matters either way, though.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

<font color="aqua">Not to get too deep on this but the best way is circular because cable has a natural circular pattern to it because that's the way it's manufactured. It's constantly on drums either being loaded or unloaded from one machine to another. Just throw a cable onto the floor, it just naturally takes a cyclindrical shape [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Good point, Dave. Makes sense. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

that depends - how fast is the conveyor moving?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Don't laugh at him, you're only encouraging him... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I have 2 methods.
                When I pack for a gig I wrap my cables in circles and use a velcro tie to keep them together.
                When I pack up after the gig I throw all my cables in my cable box as tangled and knotted up as possible.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  I have 2 methods.
                  When I pack for a gig I wrap my cables in circles and use a velcro tie to keep them together.
                  When I pack up after the gig I throw all my cables in my cable box as tangled and knotted up as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto, probably has to do with the amount of beer consumed during and after a set [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Sol

Comment

this is how i do it and it works great.

take both connector ends and hold them together. pull them through your other hand untill you reach the halfway point of the cable where it loops. now from there, let go of the conector ends while holding the bend at the halfway point. and start pulling the 2 halfs up together, folding end over end in 8-12 inch sections untill the cable is all in one bundle, then velco tie around the middle.

this works good cause when it is time to use the cable again. you just undo the velcro, hold the 2 conector ends and throw the rest out towards the front of the stage. your cable is now spred out without a buch of tangles that require you to stop what you are doing to untangle them and you have both ends in your hand ready to plug in each side.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

When a cable is manufactured it is initially put into circular "rolls". Once you "unwind" the original roll it should never be rolled up again. Either keep it stretched out or buy a new cable. The stress that "re-rolling" puts on the internal cable structure (especially the ground shielding) breaks down the frequency translation abilities of the internal core, and can cause amp failures, crappy guitar tone, etc. I know this can get rather expensive for you guys that play out a lot, but I'm sure you make lots of money playing guitar so it's no big deal. I'm pretty sure that most of the "tone" complaints I read about on this forum are probably due to "re-rolled" cables, not the guitar wood, neck wood, crappy pickups, poor setup, amp tubes, etc. Hope this helps you guys.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

My "Planet Waves" cable says it has a life time warranty.
                        Does this mean I can return them to GC without a receipt and get a new one because I roll them the wrong way? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          When a cable is manufactured it is initially put into circular "rolls". Once you "unwind" the original roll it should never be rolled up again. Either keep it stretched out or buy a new cable. The stress that "re-rolling" puts on the internal cable structure (especially the ground shielding) breaks down the frequency translation abilities of the internal core, and can cause amp failures, crappy guitar tone, etc. I know this can get rather expensive for you guys that play out a lot, but I'm sure you make lots of money playing guitar so it's no big deal. I'm pretty sure that most of the "tone" complaints I read about on this forum are probably due to "re-rolled" cables, not the guitar wood, neck wood, crappy pickups, poor setup, amp tubes, etc. Hope this helps you guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Huh! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Yea, It is true braided cable sheilding can break down, but after many fatigue cycles, like years. I have Conquest and Wrapper cables that are 25+ years old that have been coiled and re-coiled for all that time and I have no problems or loss of audio quality.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

When I worked in a TV Studio for a few months I was taught to roll everything.
                            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              My "Planet Waves" cable says it has a life time warranty.
                              Does this mean I can return them to GC without a receipt and get a new one because I roll them the wrong way? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                              Yes. Monster Cable is the same way. I had one crap out on me after a year or so, brought it back to GC and they gave me a new one, no questions asked.

Comment

Working...
                              X